Chapter 54

Aeck : How are you so fast?

Viri : Should I slow down?

Aeck : need to catch my breath.

Aeck bent down and held his knees as he let out a few deep breaths.

Viri : You should have told me sooner. Want to get a drink? Here, sit down.

Aeck sat down and watched Viri look perfectly poised. Nobody could tell they'd walked for an hour.

Aeck : You don't tire easy, do you?

Viri : I am a warrior you know. Or did you forget that during our escape.

Aeck : How could I forget, you're built like one.

Viri looked at him. Intrigued.

Aeck : I just...when you and Sam fought...or demonstrated the combat...we saw you move like one.

Viri narrowed her eyes one more time.

Aeck : Fine. I felt your muscles when I was healing your wounds.

Viri smiled : You shouldn't misuse your powers godling.

Aeck : Oh and you haven't?

Viri raised an eyebrow. Was this man accusing her?

Aeck : You haven't... Ever... used your powers on me?

Viri : Are you accusing me?

Aeck : You haven't tried to find out what I'm scared of?

Viri :  That seems like an accusation.

Aeck stood up now. Looking right at her.

Aeck : Viridian...answer me.

Viri : I don't know anything other than what you've thrown my way.

Aeck : The thoughts I had when I was scared? That's it?

Viri : Do you want me to look in?

Aeck : I... this whole time I thought you did.

Viri : Well you jump to conclusions too quickly.

Aeck : Why not? Why not find my weakest part and keep it for safety.

Viri's face changed at that. Aeck realised too late that his words had a different effect than what he'd intended. It sounded like an insult.

Viri : Because I don't need to know your weakness for safety. I don't need to know you to bring you harm.

Aeck : That's not what I...viridian..

Viridian had started to walk towards the same direction again. She walked slowly this time, waiting for Aeck to follow. Aeck wanted to talk but he was wondering why he'd tried so hard to shut his brain from her all this time. He suddenly realised his vulnerabilities, all of them. They walked in silence.

Viridian : We're here.

Aeck looked up to find a perfectly built house. It had a single floor and looked deserted. Viri opened the door and it revealed a decent sized house. The insides looked expensive - someone rich lived here. The house was neat, everything was in a perfect place - no children. The kitchen was too small, the living room too open, the windows too small....the house looked...too perfect.

Aeck : Who does this belong to?

Viri : My father. Come in.

Viridian moved confidently. Her arms were perfectly relaxed, the muscles too, her hair was up in a ponytail that moved with her footsteps.