Chapter 61

Sam : What if she doesn't know we're here? What if she's looking for us? We're too far away from here. There's no way she could know. She must be so worried. I hope Jade doesn't think I'm ghosting him. Do you think he'd think that?

Aeck watched as Sam's anxiety went from steady foot tapping to pacing around the cell with a million questions. He kept answering him.

Aeck : I think he'd notice we disappeared together. They'll figure it out. If these people haven't hurt them already.

Sam : Hurt Viri? Not happening.

Aeck just smiled fondly.

Sam : How do we...we have to let them know. How do we send a signal. Should I try steam signals? Did you try a god-to-god signal?

Aeck : She can locate you. I have limitations, she... doesn't. Let's give them time. Even if they know, it'll take a while. I take breaking into palace dungeons is hard.

Sam nodded and sat back down again. The Blacks came back. They avoided Sam and spoke to Aeck. And left after two words.

"Food. Eat."

Aeck and Sam sat around in silence. Aeck tried to tell Sam stories about Jade, that seemed to calm him down a little although he knew the water dragon was more upset at being away from Viridian. Night fell, Sam slept and in a few minutes, Aeck could hear the soft snores. He smiled and tried to conjure sleep.

"Hey"

Aeck would have jumped if the voice belonged to someone else. He'd been trying to get some sleep, no luck so far. Dawn was nearing. He slowly opened his eyes and then his eyes turned black to adjust to the light. And there, leaning gently by the cell bars was Viridian. Her hair was tied up, she wore a fitted all-black outfit that had two daggers on the sides of her legs. The green of her eyes looked even better with the black blanket around them - he couldn't help the relief he felt.

Aeck : You came.

Viri : Ofcourse I did.

Aeck smiled blissfully, he moved his hand under his head to support it as Viri walked soundlessly to his side - the dungeon felt cozy for once.

Viri : Sam's sleeping.

Aeck : Yeah he's been waiting for you.

Viri : I had to take care of a few things. Are you okay?

Aeck : I am now.

They exchanged a smile. And then Aeck realised, Viri was inside his cell. Which meant...he could go outside? He half raised himself on the bed and then just as quickly, felt Viri's palm rest on his shoulder - she said, "Not yet."

Aeck : I don't understand. Did you not come to get us out?

Viri : No.

Aeck felt his stomach drop. He'd held onto some kind of hope. He hadn't meant to but he did. And now he was positively devastated. He fell back into the bed with a groan of disappointment. Sam jerked up.

Sam : Viri!!!

Viri smiled and shushed Sam sweetly.

Sam (in a low voice) : sorry...I missed you.

Viri : Where's Jade?

Sam was confused. Aeck shot back to reality.

Sam : I thought he was with you

Viri : Um...no.

Aeck : Didn't he meet you at the merchant parade?

Viri : No.

The three fell silent. There were so many questions, none voiced. Sam gripped his bed and tried to remain calm.

Viri : I'll find him. Don't worry Sam.

Sam looked up and mustered a smile. He tried to tell himself that if something had happened to Jade, he'd know. Somehow, he'd know. Aeck would definitely know. Wouldn't the god of pain feel death? He didn't want to think in this direction. He cleared his throat and decided to stop Aeck from thinking the same.

Sam : So...where do we stand

Viri : They raided the inn and the village. I slipped out. Since they found you, they tried to look for me. I managed it. So far, they don't know how or why you're involved.

Aeck : You're safe Sam. That's a relief.

Sam nodded : And I take we're not slipping out tonight?

Viri : No. Not yet. I can't sneak you in without paralysing the entire palace. Besides, there's been a few new revelations.

Aeck caught the slight movement when Viri tried to look at him. For whatever reason, she seemed worried.

Aeck : Tell me.

Viri : Don't have the time. I...I need you guys to stay here. For a bit.

Viri's head was low. Sam realised with little pain that she wasn't confident about this. That won't do at all.

Sam : Viri... We'll stay as long as you want.

Viri turned to Aeck. She knew how staying in a prison made him feel. She tried to find any signs of hurt. Aeck smiled at the honesty in her eyes. He didn't feel his hand move to slowly brush her cheek.

Aeck : I'll wait for you. Come soon?

Viri leaned into his touch : Of course.

Sam practically had hearts shooting out of his eyes. Aeck giggled when the two of them turned fully to him.

Sam : Can we do something to help until then?

Viri got up. Slowly looked at Sam and then Aeck. She was thinking of how much she should burden them with.

Aeck (smiling) : Out with it godling.

Viri : There's another god to find.

And with that she left how she came. Opening the cell door and then walking out the dungeon easily because the locks weren't the problem - the guards were. And when you're the god of fear, guards find themselves paralysed a lot. Aeck would have been smiling proudly at her if she hadn't just dropped a bomb.