Chapter 60

Sam's eyes took some time to adjust to the dim light. The back of his head hurt. He tried to move his hand to it and found it swollen, that would take sometime to heal. He tried to open his eyes again and then he heard the footsteps. He realised he was on a chair. He pretended to be asleep. 

"You have a lot of nerve kid"

Silence.

"How did you get out?"

Silence.

"You will talk. You're going to be here for a while."

Sam heard the fire dragons laugh and leave. He started to feel dread build up. This wasn't going to be good. He stayed very still. And then, he waited.

Aeck : You're awake.

Sam's eyes shot open. Relief to hear a familiar sound.

Sam : Aeck...where are we?

Aeck : The palace.

Sam tried to look around. It didn't look like the palace at all. His head oddly, didn't hurt anymore. He looked at Aeck, huh.

Sam : This doesn't...

Aeck : We're in the dungeons.

Sam's face paled. He'd never ever imagined being in the dungeons. He was a green, he was a good guy, he'd never committed a crime! This was absolutely ridiculous.

Aeck : You've not been imprisoned. You've been kidnapped.

Sam : How are you so calm about all this? How did they take us? We were at the inn! This makes no sense. Where...are you?

Sam could hear Aeck's voice but he couldn't see a figure. And then, he moved to his left. He found him. Aeck, in his perfect tux sat on the floor. His hair was everywhere, his face looked exhausted, his clothes seemed to be in a disarray.

Aeck : You were tranquilized, from behind. They raided the inn. They found you with me, that's why you're here. We've been here for the night.

Sam : Tranquilized me? Wow that's just low.

Aeck seemed in pain. It was very strange.

Sam : What's wrong?

That was definitely not the right thing to say.

Aeck : What's wrong? What's wrong? You've been kidnapped! We're under the weight of the palace! They'll keep...

Sam : No. I mean what's wrong with you? What did they do?

Aeck : Nothing.

Sam : Aeck, tell me. Come on. We're stuck in a dungeon, we might as well bond.

Aeck didn't speak.

Sam : Godling... I know that was your first party. And you're probably feeling a little like Cinderella right now, this sure is worse than a pumpkin but we're going to get out.

Aeck looked at him now.

Sam : We'll get out. This isn't bad. I don't know how but we will. Atleast we're dressed well.

Aeck tried to smile.

Aeck : You're taking this really well.

Sam : Well, I love the attention I'm getting. Tranquilized? You know how cool that makes me sound?

Aeck : I just... I should've seen it coming. I should sense these kind of things. I was so distracted I couldn't..

Sam : It was your first party! It was hardly your fault.

Aeck let his head fall back at that.

Sam : What?

Aeck : It's just... I forgot you know? This morning, I forgot I hadn't ever been to someone's house before. I forgot I hadn't been trusted out of choice before. I forgot the last time someone told me I looked nice. I feel so present around her... I just feel so focused, it's like my mind narrows down to a single point.

Sam : You're in love with Viri, yes, I know.

Aeck : When it was happening, I couldn't believe it. And now I'm back where I stared.

Sam : Hey woah...

Aeck : Sorry, I'm back where I started but with a water dragon this time.

Sam : Thankyou. Now we just dust off our jackets and wait for Viri. Why is there no light here? I can't see shit.

Aeck : You're on a chair. To your right, three steps - you'll find the bed. The blankets are on it - it's cold at night. There's a candle on the left - seven steps from where you are.

Sam : Okay stop doing that, your eyes are scaring me.

Aeck slowly changed them back. Dim amber eyes were looking at Sam now. He had no idea how he'd gotten a god to listen to him but he didn't have the time, he needed to rest and recover.

Sam : Hey...can't you..?

Aeck : No. They'll just hit you more if you heal.

Sam : Got it. And you're the reason why the huge bruise on my forearm isn't hurting?

Aeck : Yes.

Sam : Have I mentioned I'm very glad we're friends? Now we just wait for Viri. Oh, did you give her a signal?

Aeck : No.

Sam started to close his eyes and concentrate. He was too tired to feel anything.

Aeck : Get some rest. You're still weak.

Sam : Okay, wake me up when she comes. She'd probably do this at an odd hour. Goodnight!

Aeck smiled at Sam. He didn't need to change his eyes to see that white head of hair. Sam had the calm of a man who'd never been locked up. Aeck envied it. He, just sat there, staring at this hands, trying to ignore the reality he was in. He just hoped Jade and Viri were safe.