Chapter 17

(AN : Refer to the image)

Viri wasn't usually one to show off but she knew Sam had visualised her kick some butt today, might as well. The trick was to stay quiet. The serpent moved closer, this one was half the size of Sam but longer. It moved towards them slowly, Viri kept her eyes down. She wanted a fight not submission. Emerald was backing off into Sam's wing wide eyed. Sam was petrified but eager. Viri smiled at how adorable they looked.

The serpent stopped 10 steps away. It sized up Sam and Emerald. It was pleased. Viri had no dragon bits out, the serpent did not look at her for too long. It rose to its height above the surface of the water. The serpent was a strange blue and red eyed, it's scales were wide and for a serpent, it was hungry to strike quick.

Viri slowly crouched over a now trembling Sam's shoulder. The serpent slowly tilted it's head back, it was the slightest movement but Viri saw it.

Sam thought he'd faint. The serpent was huge and towering over him. He would have ducked had his role model not balanced herself on him. The serpent was going to kill him, he knew, it's bloody eyes promised death. And then everything happened too quickly. But Sam processed it in slow motion.

The serpent came down on him with a force that was bone crashing, Viri somehow leaped into air and drove her daggers along the sides of the serpents spine in a smooth motion. She had jumped off his back, dug the daggers along the spine of the serpent, sliced off its nervous system entirely and settled back on his back, all in a smooth circular motion. The serpents body fell into the river, inches away from a wide eyed Sam and Emerald. It all happened so quickly  they could watch the life drain out of its eyes as it sunk into the river.

"See? Told you serpents wouldn't touch you." Viri said cheerfully.

As if she hadn't just brought down a huge serpent. She dipped her daggers in the water and Sedra kissed the blood off them.

Sam and Emerald needed a second.

"Breathe" Viri said. They followed. And then they started laughing. In hysteria. Viri had a smile playing on her lips.

"I have never seen something like that! That was like, the biggest serpent I've seen!"

"And it didn't even get to bleed. It fell so close to my face! I could see the color of its eyes! I didn't even see you jump. And you're on me!" 

Viri watched the siblings talk and smiled at the view. They had been scared and silent for too long, she'd decided to bring down the serpent to see how they'd work together. They'd both listened to her. They hadn't moved, even when the serpent was terrifyingly close. They'd remained ready to strike, Viri knew because their postures changed.

"I couldn't let the water dragons take all the credit, could I?" Viri broke the awkward silence that had settled once the siblings realised they'd talked.

"You know if I didn't know mind reading dragons didn't exist anymore, I'd be super creeped out. Because that was way better than what I had painted in my mind."

Emerald continued, "I'd be lying if I didn't want to see you attack, it's been so long since the last war."

"Well next time, I promise to not freeze." Sam said as Viri sat back down on him.

"You had the clarity of mind to hold the orders. That's something the Black's have difficulty doing when faced with danger head on. You two were great." Viri reassured them both. "In any case, no more serpents for the night."

Sam didn't know how Viri could promise such a thing but he believed her. He led them straight to the old shrines. Or what remained of them.