Chapter 66

Emerald usually hates fire dragons. They're arrogant, classicist and perpetually horny. It's a serious condition. She's certain she heard a lot of moaning from one of the rooms, too many for it to be innocent. But today, at least right now, she was extremely thankful for it. Sam and Aeck were five steps away. Everyone did the math quickly in their head.

No where to hide.
Viri can kill, too suspicious.
Sam can't make out with Viri, that would be too much for any audience.
Aeck isn't going near Emerald and Viri looks ready to tear him apart.
Sam and Emerald? Obviously not.
Therefore...

Aeck felt Sam pull him sideways (hiding his face) and kneel. He would have taken a moment to understand what was going on but his eyes weren't on Sam. Emerald leaned onto the wall behind her as she pulled Viri in.

Aeck felt Sam unbuckle his pants. He felt it move down, that was it. Sam was obviously loyal. Aeck wasn't too worried to begin with. But emerald, that's what worried Aeck.

Emerald slipped her hands around Viri's face and pulled her in. She looked into her perfect green eyes for any resistance, Viri seemed very chill. So emerald kissed her. They leaned back into the wall. Emerald wasn't kissing to distract the fire dragons, she'd thought of this way too many times. So she kissed Viri slowly, as one does when they finally hold someone they've wanted for sometime. Viri kissed her back and it was heartbreakingly dishonest. But Emerald didn't mind, it didn't matter, it was still Viri and she felt perfectly content.

Sam was trying very hard to hide his own face but Aeck was oddly rigid. He send a mind message to him that this wasn't the time to play coy. And then, as soon as the Blacks drew near, he felt Aeck push his fingers through Sam's hair and push him back into the wall. Was that a fake moan? Sam was very impressed with Aeck, Jade would be proud too.

The Blacks don't even turn into their direction. Worth it.

He got up, he'd spent way too much time facing Aeck's...well...that. He got to his feet and adjusted his hair...and then...he found Emerald. Emerald who was kissing Viri. His. Viri. They were kissing.

Viri gently moves a little away from Emerald, the Blacks are at a safe distance. Emerald stops immediately. Sam is looking at his sister.

Her eyes are unfocused, she's flushed, and her hands take a minute to fall back to her sides. Viri is back to scanning the perimeter but she hasn't moved away. Emerald takes a minute to realise, she's still leaning some weight over Viri's hand. She comes right back to reality and stands straight.

Sam gets it. He wishes he didn't but he does. And it's terrible. It's worse than all the assumptions he'd made of emerald. She's clearly got a thing for Viri.

They start walking again. Sam is holding onto Viri's hand (he needs his friend, his very angry, probably dangerous, friend) Aeck's eyes haven't left Emerald. Sam doesn't have the time to deal with this. He's too scared for Viri, he's worried Aeck might snap Emerald's neck and he's worried Emerald's heart's going to break.

Viri : He's here.

She walks into a room.

Sam takes a long time to adjust to the darkness. Viri and Aeck don't have that problem. They find Jade first, Sam is still blinking when he hears Jade's voice.

Jade : My lord...

Viri : Jade. Why have they kept you here?

Jade : I... I came on my own

That's it. Sam doesn't know if there's a ringing in his ears or if he's hallucinating all of this. It can't be. Jade can't have betrayed them. That makes no sense. Jade would never! Jade loves Aeck! He likes Sam! He worships Viri! It doesn't make sense.

Aeck : Jade...what's going on

Jade : They've...they wouldn't let you go Aeck. I had to do something...I had to...

And then they hear footsteps. Approaching. That's not good, that's not good at all. Viri's the only one who dares to speak.

Viri : Jade. I'll come back, I promise. I need to go now. Stay here. Okay?

Jade nods. There's tears in his eyes. Or atleast that's what Sam thinks. Is he looking at him? Why would he look at him. What does he mean he had to?

Viri nods at Sam. Who for the first time, doesn't understand. Until...he does. The two men approaching, fall flat on the ground. Sam, emerald and Aeck walk out. Emerald leads them to the dungeon... they're back faster. Viri doesn't turn to speak, Sam sits on his bed and tries to calm his head. Aeck does the same but stands. He takes a minute to realise that Viri has left and that Emerald is standing guard. He has too much on his mind.