Chapter 47

Sky : Is that yours?

Everyone turned towards Jade. Who was absolutely flabbergasted. Sam smiled affectionately at Jade.

Sam : Not yet, no.

Jade blushed in ways owls do and flew onto Sam's shoulder. He didn't want to give any hints but Sky's staring was making him uncomfortable. Guess the kid wasn't as charming as he'd thought.

Sky : That's the most beautiful owl I've ever seen. And they usually don't like coming this close to us, I think it likes you more than you think sir.

While the last statement got him uneasy, being called beautiful didn't hurt. Jade tried to hide any emotions from his face.

Sam : I would definitely like to think so, yes.

Sam had his cocky smile on. Jade fluttered his wings as if to gently slap it away from Sam's face. Viri smiled at them. Sky summoned his wings in preparation to leave.

Viri : Thankyou Sky. I'll meet you soon.

Sky smiled wholeheartedly : I'll wait!

He turned towards Aeck, who hadn't moved the slightest.

Sky : Aeck?

Aeck looked up instantly.

Sky : I didn't like it. And you hurt my friends. For that, I despise you.

Aeck : I can respect that.

Sky : But Viridian doesn't think it was your fault. You wouldn't be standing this comfortably if she did. And if she thinks you're okay, everything else is secondary.

Sam had no clue Sky had all this faith in Viridian. Guess it wasn't just Viridian who had concern for the younglings, it was the other way around too. He saw it in her eyes again, the strange warmth that came when she was at the Belltower. It made him feel happy, he didn't know why, but it did. He smiled. And turns out, so did Aeck.

Aeck : I intend to seek for your forgiveness the right way sky.

Sky : I'd like that. It was nice meeting you. Do you like hugs?

Viri was baffled. She knew Sky was kind but she didn't know he'd be this kind.

Aeck : I...uh...sure.

Sky was shorter than Viri. Aeck decided to bend down to accept the very sweet hug from the kid. Aeck knew instantly that he'd carry this memory...his first hug from someone other than Jade...from someone to whom forgiveness came easy. Sky let go and Aeck tried very hard to not hold onto him.

Aeck : Thankyou.

Sky : You looked like you need a hug. Anyway, I'm off now. Got some saving to do.

With that, one last look at Viridian, he left. The youngling could fly really fast. Viri did her thing and put a spell on the cave, similar to the shrine. Not as intense. And then started walking while the others followed her.

Jade : I cannot believe that child thought I was your pet. I clearly look wild, look at me! I have the wilderness all over me.

Sam : Younglings are perceptive you know.

Jade : Perhaps I should have been a wolf, that'd be more wild.

Sam : I would certainly like that. Wolves are cool.

Viri : A lone wolf would attract the attention of the earth dragons Jade.

Jade : Ofcourse, you're right my lord.

Sam : Maybe a falcon?

Jade : Falcons are too intense.

Sam : What are you most comfortable in?

Jade : A jaguar. Obviously.

Sam : Then be that. Whatever you're comfortable as. They're all pretty.

Jade and Sam continued to talk about how jaguars are good swimmers and how Jade thought that was an offensive generalization. Aeck stepped upto the catch up with Viri.

Aeck : You think he hates me?

Viri : Yep, it certainly looked like he was going to kill you with his embrace there.

Viri smiled. Aeck giggled. He was happy.

Aeck : He missed you.

Viri : You just met him.

Aeck : When he landed near Sedra...he saw you and his tiny heart hurt. I felt all of it. It was the sweetest thing.

Viri (unsure of what to do with this information) : Oh...

Aeck : I get to hear a lot of screams but also a lot soft prayers. His was 'please don't be hurt. Please be safe. Please come back'. He missed you. What a lovely child. To know that I've caused him pain, I feel like shit.

Viri : Well, I like to spend time at the Belltower. I visit often. So maybe...that's why. Sky is sweet, he's smart and kind and quick. His fears aren't irrational. And you... He'll forgive you.

Aeck : Well I'm quite keen on it

Viri smiled. She didn't expect Aeck to care so much about it but it seemed nice that he did.

Sam whispered loudly from behind them : Not that I don't love walking at dawn but where are we going?

Viri : To the village.

Sam : On the borders of Athoms?

Viri : Yep.

Sam : Oh my god. Are we eloping!

Viri : Well... It would seem that way.

Sam : I thought we were going to be brave and fight our enemies!

Jade : With sandwiches and cheese?

Sam rolled his eyes. Aeck laughed.

Aeck : Village sounds nice. No Blacks.

Viri : We go the third village. If we have to fight the fire dragons, there's something we have to take care of first.

Sam : Humbling ourselves?

Viri : Getting my gemstone.

Everyone fell silent. Nobody had anything to say. What would they say? Sam had noticed that the Jade gemstones from the shrine were missing but he hadn't had the time process any of that. All of the newspaper clippings of rumors around Viri started to come back to him.

Something had happened. Someone, had dared to trap the strongest god in history. And he wasn't keen on meeting them.