Chapter 3: Shields

BELLA POV

Well, they did take it pretty well. I was stupid to have anxieties like them hating me. Of course they had questions and I began answering them one by one.

"Love, but how did you disappear from Alice's visions? Did you do something?", Of course Ed would be curious about this. It gave him hope that he might be able to read my mind. I smiled and lowered my shield. What do ya think about this Eddie? I imagined kissing him and I could see what it was doing to him. I put my shield back up but Ed was still a little dazed. Guess he wasn't expecting a human to feel that intensely. I bit back a giggle.

"Woah Edward your emotions are all over the place right now. What is going on?", Jasper brought him out of his reverie. I smirked. Ed looked absolutely bewildered. "Holy crow! Did I just read your mind." I grinned wider. "You see I have a shield. It also came with a lot of practice because some witches and wizards are legit animo, which in Latin means those who can read and control minds. To protect our thoughts from the legit animo, some people practice the art of obsessa mens which is blocking the minds. I mastered the art when I was little and when I came here my shields were up at all times. I personally wanted to learn the art but being the princess also made it mandatory. This is why Edward could not read my minds. The shields weren't very strong because I did not expect to meet anyone with similar powers. So Jasper and Alice's powers worked on me. It wouldn't have helped my cause if suddenly Alice or Jasper couldn't use their powers on me, like it happened today, or if Edward could read my mind.", I laughed remembering Alice's panic.

"Not funny Bella! I was worried sick-well not literally cause vampires can get sick but you get the idea.", Alice muttered. I giggled again.

I decided it would be amusing to try something. What they didn't know was that even I was a legit animo. I knew my powers would work on vampires when I lifted Emmett in the air. This time I decided to use it on Jasper. I went into his mind, no one would even notice because my eyes wouldn't change colour.

Get up Jasper. He obeyed. Edward looked at me wide eyed. I pulled down my shield and thought, What do you want me to ask him to do? He looked bewildered but quickly caught on. He whispered in my ears so low even the vampires could not hear. We both bit back chuckles. Going back to Jasper, propose to Alice. He turned towards Alice and knelt down on one knee. He pretended to take out a ring and said what I told him to say. He said, "Mary Alice Brandon. I love you more than anything. Will you marry me?" Alice was confused but played along and said "Yes". Then I made Jasper keep up the pretence of marrying her. Alice, utterly bewildered was pulled into a ball dance with Jasper in the living room without actual music. The others also had bewildered expressions but were trying to hold back laughter.

Edward and I couldn't hold in out laughter anymore and snickered. Everyone looked at us. "Belly bear did you do that?", Emmett asked. I just nodded. Everyone except Jasper and Alice snickered. Jasper just continued dancing and Alice pouted. I let go of Jasper's mind. He abruptly stopped dancing, dazed. "What happened? I was sitting on the couch not one second ago. How am I here? And why do I get waves of amusement from all of you?", he asked confused. The chuckle came back in full force. Even Alice could not help but laugh.

Jasper was even more confused. I put the image in his head. Edward laughed harder watching it all over again. Jasper thankfully wasn't mad. "Well, baby sister, you know what this means right? Prank wars are on.", he grinned evilly. I smirked back. "I'll join you Jazzy. After all I need payback for her hanging me in the air.", Emmett said. "Bring it on.", I smirked. We all broke into laughter again.

(End of Chapter 3)