Chapter 8: Appearance

EDWARD POV

Ben snapped his fingers and his body began to shift slowly. He grew slightly taller. His features became sharper, handsomer. His eyes and hair became more defined. There was this aura about him which made him look superior. We gaped at him. He looked inhumanly beautiful after his transformation completed, even more so than us. He just gave us a small smile. These were slight changes according to Bella. How much would she change then?

"Yeah yeah I know I look different but I personally prefer the human look. I mean centuries of seeing this face does tend to make you arrogant sometimes. The human look does not let me think that way.", He said sheepishly. But we did not miss the word centuries.

"What exactly do you mean by centuries?", Carlisle spoke after a long time. Ben and Bella exchanged looks and Bella bit her lip.

Ben sighed. "Well there are no more secrets after all. So, here goes nothing. Actually I am 550 years, give or take a few years. But Bella here is older than me.", He looked at Bella.

Finally Bella spoke, "I am a 1000 years old, again give or take a few decades. I mean it's difficult to keep track of the number after so many years.", She said sheepishly. A 1000? Okay, not what I expected. She was definitely much wiser and experienced than me. There's going to be a lot I will learn from her it seems. 

"Well you sure seemed wiser than a 17 year old.", I teased. She giggled. "I'll show you how I really look but I would prefer to do it outside.", she said. We were confused momentarily but obliged. Ben was wide-eyed. "You're gonna show them that Bella?", he asked. "Yes Ben. I trust them.", She smiled. What does that mean?

"Uhh Bella, we are completely confused right now. Please explain.", Alice said utterly confused. Bella nodded. Once we were outside, she snapped her fingers. Even she grew in height. She was almost taller than Rosalie. Her fingers grew longer and more slender. Her hair was darker and thicker. Her facial features became sharper as well. Her nose became more angular and eyes became brighter and more defined but still remained chocolate brown. There was a glow around her and just like her brother, she looked superior. Everything about her screamed 'powerful'. But unlike Ben, her ears turned pointed and looking at them you could say that she had sharp hearing. She looked heavenly, not that she looked any less beautiful with the glamour but now she was just like a Goddess. However why she had to come outside for this, was still beyond me.

"This is how I normally look but there are somethings I can...well...sorta add I guess... whenever I want like these...", she raised her hands upwards but we gasped when we saw that instead of fingers which were there a second ago, there were very sharp talons like that of an eagle but longer. She just smiled and within the blink of an eye the talons were replaced with her fingers. "And my personal favourite part. The part for which we had to come outside...", she took a deep breath and...

In an instant, there were two huge dark muscular wings that had grown from her back. Now she definitely looked like a Goddess sent from heaven, the evening sunlight falling upon her and contrasting beautifully with the shadows around her wings. It was mesmerising to watch. Then she smirked, "Wanna go for a flight baby?", She asked. Ben glared at her and me but at this moment I couldn't care less. I nodded enthusiastically.

She walked towards me and wrapped her arms around my torso and I held onto her shoulders, careful not to touch her wings. I wanted to but I didn't know if she was comfortable with it or if it was disrespectful to touch the wings for her kind or not. Barely a second passed, she flapped her wings and we went soaring upwards at a speed which I couldn't comprehend. It was much faster than running, I was sure of it. Barely a few seconds had passed and we were so high up that even with my vision, I couldn't see my family any larger than a dot in the horizon.

I gasped and she grinned. I smiled back. Looking at her wings, the way her back arched with each flap. There was nothing more I wanted than to touch her wings right now. I know it might seem stupid but I just asked her, "Can I...um...touch your wings?" I felt like an idiot. She looked at me as if I had 10 heads. "uh...never mind. I don't why I asked that.", I mumbled slightly embarrassed. She just laughed and said, "Of course you can Edward. You don't have to ask".

I smiled at her and then I shifted my hand and very gently touched her wing. She shivered and I looked curiously at her. She just shook her head but then after a moment smirked evilly. I knew something was going on in that beautiful brain of hers. She muttered something in another language and then said, "Touch them again and you'll understand why I shivered." She was giggling uncontrollably now and I was a little sceptical but did as she told.

Saying that I hadn't expected this was an understatement. As soon as I touched her wing, even I shivered slightly. It was as if someone blew air gently into my ear but it was a 100 times more intense than that. It was crazy. Looking at my reaction, she just laughed. I grinned like an idiot.

We flew around for a long time. I was enjoying the flight. It sure was much more soothing and calming than running. It was pure ecstasy. There were still many questions left unanswered but they could wait. Right now, I only wanted to live through this piece of our perfect forever and I wanted to enjoy it with her to its fullest.

(End of Chapter 8)