Chapter 9 : Mind over matter

We begun talking a while later. She told me about some of her early life experiences with her wings. How at one point, they were too heavy for her to even carry them properly. She had to drag them on the floor and then hear a good deal about it from her trainer. I laughed lightly at that. She told me about the first time she actually flew. It wasn't much more than a few yards before she went tumbling through the branches of a nearby tree. She told me that even though she got a little injured that day but it was one of the best days of her life. I smiled at her.

After a while of flying quietly, I noticed her face had lost the easy-goingness which was there a few minutes ago. She was thinking about something. "What's wrong, love?", I whispered. She just sighed. After a few minutes she said, "Mind over matter." I was immediately reminded of the conversation we had just a few months ago. "What about it?", I asked.

"You know all this time you worried that you could kill me with one wrong touch, The truth is, a single thought from me and you could easily die. My powers as a witch already were extensive, adding to it the powers of all 7 High Lords as a fae. So, basically, this power runs through my veins at all times, trying to find a way to be used. Sometimes, I just...burst. These talons and wings, they are just part of the beast that lurks beneath. I could turn into that beast right now if I wanted to. But its so deadly to even look at that even the most powerful High Lord in the history of Prythian and my own mother who is one of the most powerful leaders Ithaca has ever had are afraid of that side of me." She sighed.

I was dumfounded for a moment. Then I said, "Bella, the beast, as you call it, is part of what you are. It's not part of who you are. Yes, it could be deadly, but you are not deadly. And again, as you said mind over matter, you wouldn't hurt someone purposely. I don't know much about this Prythian or these High Lords you speak of, but always remember one thing, using power and misusing power are two different things. Don't confuse between the two. You are special and powerful but at the same time you are kind-hearted, generous, forgiving, passionate, humble, loving, caring, clever, courageous, enchanting, trustworthy, wise, determined, resilient, exceptional, thoughtful, I could go one for forever. Never doubt yourself, love.", I finished off and kissed her. Pulling back after a while, she just looked at me with such love and adoration that I would have blushed, if I was able.

"Thank you Edward. But do-do you really feel all that about me. I mean I am not that great.", she asked. "You don't see yourself clearly,", I simply stated. She smiled at me and we flew back towards the house as the the last rays of the glorious sunset fell upon us.

When we got back to the house, everyone was in the living room talking to Ben about various things. He had already changed back to his human self and Bella had too after landing outside the house.

We entered and everyone's attention was brought to us. They smiled at us, including Ben which surprised me and we returned their smiles. Suddenly Bella remembered something. "Have you told Charlie about your visit yet Ben?", she asked. Ben shook his head. "Yea with all this confusion and chaos, I forgot.", he replied sheepishly. Bella just gave him a look. She sent word to Charlie using those butterflies saying that she would stay with us tonight and that Ben would come to visit the next day.

On asking her, she said that this was one of the common ways witches and wizards communicated. We just looked at her. What about good old phones? She knew what we were going to ask and simply said, "The normal human technology doesn't work in places surrounded with magic. So phones would simply be rendered useless." This was news to us. Well, never mind, we've seen and heard a lot more absurd things today.

They told us about Ben and that Phil was one of the lead guardians or commanders you could say of their armies. Its a very prestigious post and people kill for it. Ben was given the post based upon his fighting skills. Ben mentioned how Bella was better at combat and leadership than him. We weren't surprised seeing the display of their fight from the afternoon. After that Bella talked Jasper, Emmett and I into a wrestling match some day soon. I was wary at first because I couldn't see her a target of attack but she eventually persuaded me.

It was late by now and both Bella and Ben had to sleep. They promised to tell us more about their lives the next day. They truly were a fascinating bunch. Bella seemed reluctant to talk about being a faerie but said that she would tell us about it soon. I was curious naturally because we just learnt about the world of witches and learning about faeries would also be a very different yet fascinating journey. But I would wait for her to explain when she was ready.

Ben was wary of her sleeping in my room but one look from Bella silenced him. I couldn't blame him though. After all he was her brother and the protective instinct was natural. Eventually, I started humming her lullaby and she fell asleep with her head on my chest and my arms around her. She seemed more peaceful tonight than the past few nights, seemingly feeling better after not having to hide from us anymore. I smiled when the sleep talking came. I kissed her forehead and closed my eyes, relishing the feeling of the most amazing woman in my arms.

(End of Chapter 9)