The Failure

For the first five visits, Azriel had managed to not be visibly angry at Daggerheart. He guessed she already knew they were not on the best terms given that she had killed his spies, but he suspected that she thought the hard feelings were slowly disappearing.

He had given her only as much information as he thought was necessary and then left the work to Mor or Cassian. Of course, that had it's own side-effects. She was getting along with Cassian and Mor. Every now and then she would mumble something under her breath and they would all be laughing. He had made a point of ignoring whatever she was saying if it wasn't directed at him.

Even since she had snapped at Kier, both Mor and Cass had gotten on friendly terms with her. Or at least close to that. He understood why they had liked her but had no interest in being liked by her whatsoever, and so, he had left them all to their snide remarks and shared glances around the table.

He usually sat back and only focused on what was being said about important matters and blocked them out as soon as he could.

However, when he went to the border of the human realm for their sixth visit he noticed daggerheart was late. That didn't bother him in the least but considering that the sooner she finished the work, the sooner he could get rid of her, he flew a little more. Hoping that he could find her in the way, he passed over a few villages and towards the barrel. He could just about see the barrel when he felt the first drops fall from the sky.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, the fragrance of earth filling his senses. The rain made him even more grateful for daggerheart's absence.

Granted, he would be able to enjoy it more if he wasn't here to take her at all but he was grateful for the small moment of peace before someone started shouting down below.

He looked down and saw a man standing in the pouring rain. When he realised he was shouting at him, he dived down and hovered above him.

The man said, "Daggerheart is not going to come with you today!"

"Why? Is something the matter?" He frowned and wiped some water from around his eyes. He worried if some humans had already objected to having fae in their land.

"She just isn't coming. I don't know a lot."

"Can I meet her once?" Azriel got closer to the ground.

The man nibbled at his lip and glanced nervously inside before saying in a low voice. "Fly a little to the south. There is a cemetery. You can find her there. Don't tell anyone I told you this." Then, he turned around and said over his shoulder. "She would not appreciate anyone's presence. "

Azriel ignored the warning and flew swiftly over the cold, harsh wind. The raindrops collided harshly with his skin and he had a hard time seeing but he stopped when he spotted the old gate.

He could spot the green turtleneck from anywhere and as he drew closer, he spotted a bouquet of flowers on the grave she was standing over.

He wondered for a while if she was mourning a family member or a friend who had passed away in the recent war. He was about to leave when she kneeled down and traced the name on the gravestone. 

Whoever had died, they had only passed away yesterday. At only seven years of age.

A child? From a lover?

Not quiet sure about how to feel, Azriel's feet took him to where she was kneeling.

He stood a few steps behind her and waited. Several minutes passed before she turned her head sideways. Just enough for him to see the redness around her eyes and the pale lips.