The Prisoner

Azriel considered it a miracle that he had not died of a heart failure by the next morning. It wasn't that he had slept much but he had been in a daze the entire time which was only broken during the early hours of the morning when he had to wake Daggerheart up because she had bled through the sheets. She had thrown another tantrum and thrown some things around before marching off to the bathroom and returning only when the sun was peeking over the horizon.

He had just sat down on a chair and was rubbed his stinging eyes when she had thrown herself onto the fresh sheets, clad in her own clothes, and buried her head in the blanket after telling him to get the remainder of their cake from the night.

He dragged his feet all way downstairs and then back upstairs. Daggerheart scooped a little cream in the spoon but blankly stared at it and licked the sides. "I don't want it." She grumpily pushed it away.

"I'll eat it then." He shrugged but she snatched it away before he could get it.

"No." She glared. "It's mine."

"I baked it." He protested.

"Only because I told you how to." She waved a finger in his direction.

"You tricked me." He corrected her.

"Same thing." She dismissed him.

He sighed and closed his eyes. "Whatever you want."

Daggerheart turned so she was laying on her back. "I should meet the High Lord."

" what for?" He frowned.

She let the silence speak for her. Azriel remembered her words from yesterday, "Oh." He said.

"I haven't forgotten, spymaster." She twisted the delicate spoon between her fingers and he slid his eyes over the graceful curves of her body being outlined by the  faint sunlight streaming through the curtains. She looked at him, the golden flecks in her eyes shining, and said, "I hardly ever forget anything."

"I'm sure." He dipped his head. "It's too early. I don't think anyone has woken up yet."

"We can wait. I will get what I want sooner or later." She shrugged.

"And what is it that you want?" He cocked his eyebrow.

She smiled, "Nothing you should be very excited for." Then, turning away from him, she licked the spoon, "Few people are pleased when I get my way."

"I'm sure you got on people's nerves easily." He thought about the lingering bitterness inside him.

She scooped up another piece of cake and grinned, "I love that."

He scoffed and shook his head. Right then, Daggerheart dropped her spoon and clutched her stomach. She hissed in pain and pulled her knees up to her chest. Azriel rushed towards her but she shook her head so he stopped before his hand touched her shoulder. "Don't." She gasped. "Don't touch me."

He curled his fingers but hovered over her in worry. Eventually,she relaxed and spread her arms out.

"I hate this." She groaned.

"Do you think a heating pad would help?" He nibbled on his lower lip nervously.

"I think so? I know it will!" She said. "Go get me one." She pushed him off the bed.

"You know you are going to ask my brother to punish me in a few hours right?" He reminded her. "And you're making me work like a slave right now too. This is worse than any lashing ever."

"Your punishment started a few hours ago." She shooed him away. "Now go."

When he came back with a heating pad Daggerheart was again drowsy. She looked at him with droopy eyelids but didn't have enough energy to move.