04 | free for all

Within seconds, the island erupts into chaos.

Fighters burst from their suites, prepared to succeed by any means necessary. Shouts and grunts fill the air, and the sounds of pounding footsteps and humming power reverberates through Chen's palace as the Tournament begins.

Ray emerges from his room and surveys his surroundings. The guest hall has turned into a war zone. Everywhere he looks, his fellow Elemental Masters are chasing and fighting each other, battling hungrily for possession of a Jadeblade. He hesitates, opting not to leap straight into the fray. Instead, he melts into his own shadow with a crafty grin, waiting for the right moment to strike.

From the second floor, Razhai's crimson eyes gleam as she races for the nearest Jadeblade, hidden behind a statue in the corner. She yelps in pain as a sudden shock rattles her bones, making her nerves spark and her legs buckle. Jay darts past her with lightning crackling at his fingertips. He's aiming for the blade, but Razhai has other plans.

Oh, no you don't. She shuts her eyes, concentrates, and lets her powers take over. The next thing she and Jay know, they've moved back in time, standing where they were a minute in the past. Jay blinks, looking thoroughly puzzled, but Razhai only smirks. She reaches the Jadeblade this time, raising it triumphantly over her head. By the time the blue ninja realizes what's happened, she's already gone.

Taylor presses her ear to the door of her room—judging by the commotion sounding outside, the guest hall is probably not the best place to be. She bolts for the balcony instead and leaps onto the roof. Looking around, she spots a Jadeblade dangling from a rooftop three rooms down, and immediately breaks into a sprint. A flash of red catches her eye, and her head turns to see Kai gaining on her, racing for the same blade. The moment their gazes lock, he shouts and sends a jet of fire her way. Taylor narrowly dodges, feeling the heat of the flames just missing her face as she backflips out of the way. The fire ninja passes her.

"Bad move, firecracker~" she singsongs, landing gracefully on her feet. Dark matter starts to swirl at her fingertips. She hurls it at her opponent, ensaring him in a shimmering web of it.

"What the—hey!" Kai shouts and struggles, but nothing he does frees him. Taylor jogs past him, leaps across the rooftops, and seizes the Jadeblade.

"Hello, gorgeous," she says with a grin. With that, she takes off, freeing Kai from the dark matter. The red ninja growls, almost blazing with fury.

Back inside, Lloyd dashes through the war zone. He's halfway through the guest hall when a heavy weight crashes into him, knocking him to the ground. The Green Ninja groans, glaring up into the eyes of Apollo. The master of void has his foot firmly planted on his chest, pinning him to the floor.

"Hey, I caught the Green Ninja! How cool!" He gushes. "You know, you're really not so powerful. I mean, you can't even go two minutes without being captured or beaten up or having your powers stolen." He leers at Lloyd, pressing his foot deeper into his victim's ribs. "It's kind of funny, honestly."

His hands start to glow with purple energy, aimed directly between Lloyd's eyes. The younger boy struggles vainly, feeling the breath being pressed from his lungs. "Don't...do this..." he rasps.

"Only one can remain, Green Ninja. And it will be the one who's strong enough to win!"

"Get off him!"