12 | the forgotten element

The remaining fighters trudge through the tunnels in chains, herded by cultists to the underground temple like sheep to the slaughterhouse.

"I'm sorry." Razhai sniffs, her crimson eyes sorrowful. "We shouldn't have been so worried about ourselves. If we weren't, maybe we could've seen through Chen's lies."

"Hey, you had your reasons to compete," Kai responds with a sympathetic look. "You all have families or yourselves to take care of. I don't blame any of you for wanting to win."

"Well, now it looks like we're all gonna lose," Melody mutters.

Up ahead, the tunnel leads into the cave. The group is corralled down a flight of rock stairs and into the center, where Chen and Clouse wait for them. There's a hungry gleam in Chen's eye as his gaze drags over his prisoners, like he's starving and they're a three-course meal.

"I can smell insecurity." Rain growls low in her throat, baring her fangs at him. "You reek of it, old man."

"Yeah! And you may have us, but you still don't have the Green Ninja," Jay adds.

"Oh, I'm sure any moment now he's going to swoop in and teach me a very valuable lesson." Chen sits back and crosses his legs. "Well, I'll wait! I love lessons."

They stand there in tense silence. Melody coughs. Apollo clears their throat. Razhai shuffles her feet. Lemon mutters something like "any minute now" under her breath.

"Well, I'm bored," Chen blurts. "But here's a lesson: don't be a sore loser! Only one can remain!"

With that, he leaps from his throne and activates the Staff of Elements, unleashing its wrath upon his victims. They all scream as they're lifted off the ground, followed by a chorus of agonized cries as their powers are snatched from their bodies. It's over in a flash, and they drop back to the ground, panting and sweating.

"Take them to the factory," Chen orders. He watches as they're dragged off, too powerless to fight back, and smiles entirely too wide.

When the Green Ninja arrives, he'll be ready for him.

——————————

The noodle factory quickly becomes more crowded than ever. The guards force the remaining prisoners into the room before heading off to assist Chen. Rain growls after them, wanting nothing more to claw them to shreds as the doors slam in her face.

"Hey, guys," Taylor says. She smiles weakly, flashing half-hearted jazz hands. "Welcome to the party."

Kira tackles Kai and Jay in a tight hug, tears glistening in her eyes. "Oh my gosh, you're both okay!"

"Yeah, but we're powerless," grumbles Kai.

"You're both alive, and that's what's most important."

"So...that's it, then?" Rose asks as she looks around. "Chen got all of us?" Ray nods, looking utterly crushed.

"Not all of us." Kai gives Dareth a sharp look. "Where's my sister?"

"I wish I knew." The older man shakes his head. "We both got caught 'cause of me, but she got away. I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help."

"Oh, FSM." Kai clenches his fists. "If anything happens to her out there..." Nearby, Taylor and Rose wince, entirely too familiar with the pain of losing a sibling.

"So Lloyd and Sensei G are lost, too?" Kira frets, fingers starting to tremble. "Oh gosh..."

"Don't worry." Rose shuffles toward her and rests a hand on her shoulder. "I have faith in both of them. I'm sure they'll come back for us."