epilogue

Nighttime in Ninjago has been considered by many to be magical. No one knows exactly why—maybe it's the light that shines when the moon is at its peak, or the way the stars glimmer, both sights that everyone can see regardless of where they are. Whatever the case, there's something about nighttime that seems to connects everyone in the realm.

By the light of the full moon, Taylor stands atop a roof, a cool breeze stirring her long red hair. Before her, Ninjago City sprawls in a stunning sea of bright lights. She can't help but wonder...could her brother be out here somewhere? Could he know about the Second Serpentine War, and how she fought on the winning side? There's no way for her to know, but she hopes that's the case.

She raises her blue eyes to the sky, gazing up at the stars and moon high above. "Miss you every day, Elliot," she murmurs. "I love you through all space and time."

Her breath hitches as a shooting star flashes overhead. She shuts her eyes and makes a silent wish: that wherever he is now, he knows she still loves him. There's not much she remembers about Elliot—they were separated so young—but she remembers loving him, and she wants him to know it.

She opens her eyes and smiles as the star passes, hoping her wish comes true.

——————————

Leaves crunch beneath Rain's feet as she treks through the forests of Ninjago. She inhales, grateful for the scent of soil and pine needles that she'd so desperately missed. It's not long before she breaks through the trees and into a small clearing. A log cabin waits for her there, her home for the past fifteen years. Her tail wags at the sight.

"Home sweet home," she sighs with a smile.

It won't be the same living by herself after she'd spent the past few days with other people. Still, the woods are where she belongs—it's where she was born and raised. Here, among the tall trees and animals, is where she feels the most comfortable and powerful.

She hesitates. Lloyd had asked her to let him know when she got home safely. She's not quite sure how to contact him now that she has; modern technology has always confused her, having grown up in the wilderness, so it's not like she can call or text him. At a loss, the wolf-eagle shrugs and does the next best thing.

She closes her eyes, tosses her head back, and howls, sending the tune floating over the sleepy forest and curling into the cool night air. She smiles, fangs gleaming, and hopes that her message reaches her friend.

——————————

Ivan has to admit, it's weird being back in their childhood home, and even weirder sitting at the table with their parents. They haven't seen them in a year, and the sight of them now makes their eyes mist with tears as they tell them the tale of the Tournament.

"It all turned out to be a scam, so...I didn't win any cash." They finish, hanging their head. "I'm sorry. I know you didn't want me to, but I really wanted to help you two out."

"Are you kidding?" Mr. Alinsky beams, ruffling Ivan's pinkish hair. "You helped us out by saving the world! And everyone else in Ninjago, for that matter!

"And besides," Mrs. Alinsky adds, "We're just happy to see our baby safe and sound."

"Well, hey. I may not have won any riches, but I did get something better." Ivan grins. "I have some new friends. They've got resources, and they know people. They could help you."

"See? We're not without hope." Their mother smiles. "We'll be just fine."

She scoops them into a hug, and Mr. Alinsky joins in. Ivan smiles, tears of happiness welling in their violet eyes. "I love you guys," they murmur.