06 | versus

Zane isn't sure how he found himself in a snowy cave, cornered by an ice dragon bound by chains, but he's there regardless. He yelps as the beast roars and barrels toward him. The nindroid searches desperately for a way out, but he's trapped. All he can do is cower as the dragon closes in.

"Zane? Are you still there?" A feminine voice calls. He looks up, but sees no one. "If you can hear me, wake up. You need to wake up!"

His eyes open.

Instead of a cave, he's sitting in a cold, dark cell, chains binding his hands to the wall. "It was...only a dream," he murmurs.

"It's amazing you dream," says the voice. "I've always wondered what it's like. You've always been special."

Zane blinks. The sound is coming from the cell next to him. "Where am I? Who are you?"

"I'm Pixal, a friend. And you're in danger and have to get out of here. Your memory drive is out of sorts and your Elemental Power—"

"Elemental Power?"

"You're a Nindroid, Zane, a ninja! And your friends are here to save you. But they can't do it all. You have to remember who you are.

He perks up. "Friends?"

"Remember, Zane." The voice grows desperate. "You saved your friends and rebuilt yourself. There are things about you that you don't understand, that you have yet to discover. But if we're ever going to get out of here, you have to remember."

Zane ponders her words. Realization dawns on him. "Pixal!" he cries, face breaking into a grin. "We are compatible?"

"Yes, Zane." She's not visible, but he swears he can see her smiling. "Yes we are."

————————

The Elemental fighters grab breakfast at the chow house the next morning. Though they try not to think about it, the tension from yesterday's event still leaves an odd feeling hanging over all of them. The Ninja are especially on edge, still disturbed from last night's discovery. Garmadon is also disturbed by his lack of creamy biscuits.

"What do you think happened to Rose?" Lemon asks, taking a sip of lemonade.

"Not sure," Melody responds. "I hope she's alright. Then again, what's the worst that could've happened?"

"Do you think she was right?" Katlain whispers across the room. "About Chen being shady?"

"I dunno." Samuel shrugs from their spot across from her. "The guy seems a little off, but maybe he's just senile." Katlain giggles at that.

"Oh, please." Apollo rolls their eyes as they walk past. "People say crazy things when they're desperate. Rose was probably just upset she lost."

Katlain arches a brow at their attitude, but nods in acknowledgement. "I look forward to seeing you fight," she says, focus returning to Samuel. "I've never seen a master of wind in action before."

"You too! Your powers sound awesome." They pause and shrink a little, smiling shyly. "By the way...has anyone ever told you your eyes are really alluring? They remind me of onyx." Noodle flicks his tongue in agreement.

"Oh!" Katlain blinks, a slight blush crawling across her face. "Thank you..."

Ray, Ivan, and Rain sit at the next booth, talking quietly. Razhai joins them. "Congrats on making it yesterday, Ray," she says as she plops her tray down. "You really pulled through."

"Agreed," Ivan says with a smile. "You take the term silent but deadly to a new level."

"Thank you," Ray signs with a grateful smile.