Chapter 4

XxXWeAsHumanXxX: Welcome to Chapter 4! I do not own Naruto, and thanks for reading!

This chappy is dedicated to Bre2k9 for voting, commenting, and liking We As Human (A band).

Ich putte gern meine Katze! Deutsch ist ganz toll!

----------------------

Naruto's POV:

        My eyes cracked open slightly. Outside, the sky was a dark and the stars tinkled slightly. The light in my room was dimmed slightly so I could rest comfortably. I looked at a package that rested on my bedside table and picked it up carefully (Me sneezing dramatically as my phone almost flew out of my hands... sigh) and peeled the wrapping off.

        What first caught my eye was a note addressed to 'Dobe'. I immediately crumbled the note and threw it into the waste bin. Is he trying to apologize?

        Sighing, I stood and carefully walked to the trash can. I unwrinkled the note, and it read:

        Dobe,

        I was going I give you this myself, but I'm banned from seeing you due to your outburst, so I had Sakura give this to you.

        The mission I was assigned to by the Hokage was to obtain a special herb that only grew in the Cloud Village. This herb is used to treat people with illnesses like yours and extend the little amount of time they have left. Inside the package is the herbs that we collected.

        About Sakura and I, I didn't expect for that to happen. Though I may not like it, I have to take responsibility.

        I gritted my teeth. That bastard. I continued reading the letter.

        She might not be the ideal woman, but the strings are tied and there's no going back now.

        It was a moment of weakness in my part. I was feeling lonely and she was just there.

        You'd probably make a much better father than I, but you won't be around that much longer.

        If they let me visit, I will. But until then, goodbye.

        Sasuke Uchiha

        Are you kidding me? I skimmed over the letter again. I ripped the letter into pieces and tossed them aside. They fluttered slowly to the ground like small snow flakes. I blinked an looked around my room.

        In the corner there was dozens of presents and balloons. On the wall, the calendar read 'October 15th'. I laughed lightly. I'm 18 now... and I slept through my birthday. Tears sprung from my eyes and dripped into the tiles.

        I shakily walked to the pile of gifts and crouched besides them.

        Inside the first gift, there was a new ninja headband. I tossed it to the side. That's not going to be of much use anymore.

        In the next present, there was a knitted red scarf. It looked handmade. The individual knits were somewhat skewed to the right.

        Inside the other presents, there was a green jumpsuit, some vitamins, chakra pills, a new frog wallet-mine was getting worn out-, some new sandals, and another jumpsuit, but this one had 'THE POWER OF YOUTH' stitched into the front of the green spandex.

        I smiled slightly and put the gifts into a neat pile, save for the headband that laid in the middle of the floor untouched. I picked it up and brushed my fingers over the leaf symbol, tracing it, and tossed it into the trash.

        I have no need for it anymore.

------------------

        Konohamaru burst into my hospital room with a look of disbelief etched into his youthful face. A nurse had a frustrated expression.

        "Visiting hours are closed after six!" He ignored her and trained his brown orbs into my blue ones.

        "You dying?" His weak voice broke the chaotic nurses scolding and she silenced.

        "I'll leave you two be for five minutes, but no more than that!" Her eyes held sympathy as she briefly gazed at me while she shut the door behind her.

        I looked away from Konahamaru's teary gaze and focused on my white bed sheets.

        "I just got back from a mission--" He sniffled. "A-and I heard some of the villagers talking about... about your illness." I stayed silent. "It-It isn't fair!" He suddenly yelled causing my to look at him and my heart ached painfully. he rubbed some tears from his eyes.

        "Konahamaru...."

        "W-we're supposed to be competing for the title of Hokage!"

        "Konohamaru, I can't..."

        "You never give up!" He screeched while more tears pooled down his cheeks. "That's your ninja way!"

        "That was my ninja way." He stared at me in disbelief.

        "T-this isn't you. My Boss would never give up... No matter what!" I stood angrily and almost tipped over.

        "I can't!" He looked like he was going to interrupt, but I cut him off. "Look at me! I can't even form a simple shadow clone anymore! My-" my voice cracked. " My legs can barely support me anymore!"

        "But--" I took a deep breath and collapsed onto my bed.

        "What am I suppose to do?" I whispered to him.

        He was silent.

        "Boys, five minutes are up." Konohamaru looked as if he wanted to say something, but he kept his mouth shut as he was escorted out by the nurse.

        Satou walked in and sat in the stool besides me.

        "Sit up." I did as instructed, and he pushed cold metal of the stethoscope against my inner elbow (What is that called?). He whistled. "What's got you so worked up?" I gave him a blank look and he just sighed and applied disinfectant to my bicep. Satou inserted the needle and placed a bandage onto the puncture sight. He stood and left the room without another word.

        I sagged into my hard pillow and looked outside at the setting sun. Slowly, my eyes closed and I drifted off into a light slumber.

-------------

XxXWeAsHumanXxX: Ehh!! So sleepy! Nighty Night (even though it's six and I probably won't go to sleep) don't let the midget banana trolls bite!