Chapter 13

Recap:

"Naruto." I closed my eyes tight, and pretended to snore softly. "Idiot..." Suddenly, the blanket was ripped from my grasp and tossed to the side. "I'm not done speaking with you." My eyes were wide, and I nodded obediently, too shocked to protest.

"Now," Gaara returned to his seat. "where were we." He gave me a grin, if a slightly predatory one.

⊙ω⊙

Naruto's POV:

Gaara loomed over me, that same look plastered to his face as I inched back. My palms sweat as my heart beat in an erratic rhythm.

"J-just leave." He smirked, not answering, but his intentions were clear as he took a seat in the plastic seat to my side. Biting my lip, I contemplated the most effective way to get him to leave.

I could sit this out and see what he wants.... Or I could try the same approach as I did with... Hinata...

"U-um.." Gaara crossed his legs suddenly and leaned forward, his eyes narrowed and calculating.

"Naruto." My blue eyes snapped to his lighter shade of blue-green orbs. He had a determined look in his eyes... Something I used to have....

"What do you want?" I sneered, crossing my arms stubbornly. "I don't want to speak to someone like you." He chuckled, but it wasn't a humorous one... It was one full of self-loathing and pain.

"Naruto... If your going to insult me and call me a monster... I'm well aware of that. It's nothing new." I flinched slightly and whipped the sweat from my palms onto my sheets.

Gaara leaned forward, resting his chin of his intertwined hands.

"That's not what I'm here to speak to you about anyway. So I'll ask that you please save your comments until I'm finished." My jaw was slack in surprise. He took my silence as a que to continue. "We have a lead on the group. That lady that threatened you... Well, she claims to have spoken to one of them in a dream. It may not be completely viable, but it's all we have. We're leaving in two days."

"Two days? Who's all going?" He straightened his posture, running a hand through his crimson locks as he responded.

"To my knowledge, Shikamaru, Chouji, Ino, Sasuke, Shino, Kiba, Sai, and some other Jounin." My brows furrowed.

"That many people for something that might not even be there?" His frown deepened, and he scowled slightly.

"It's our only lead and it's a serious threat to the five Nations." I nodded slightly.

"Where was it?"

"She claimed it was in the Hidden Waterfall Village. She recognised the scenery because she used to vacation there with her late husband frequently."

⊙ω⊙ω⊙ω⊙ω⊙

3rd person, flashback:

The women sat in the corner of her dark cell, her greying hair knotted and frizzy. Her dark eyes were dull as they glanced absentmindedly around the narrow space. Her clothes were torn and covered in grime, dirt covered her cheeks and was buried underneath her fingernails. The women's neck had a purple bruise from being knocked out by an Anbu, and her wrists were secured firmly behind her back, the metal biting painfully into her skin.

The room was nearly pitch black, the only light came from underneath the metal door. The floor was made of stone that sent shivers down her spine. The room was bare, only the rough walls and floor to comfort her through the chilly nights. Her shallow breaths came out in white puffs, her form littered in goosebumps, and her cheeks were a rosy shade. The women's teeth chattered noisily as her nose dripped with snot.