Stones

So I had my SAT today... yeah... I think I did ok... That's why this chapter is a bit delayed on time... This week is gonna be focused on relaxing... or as much relaxing as I can do as a high schooler.

Kingdoms Lost Chapter 5 is finally here! This is the turning point of the story, and leads into the next few chapters, which are Jerome's gala.

SotC: Heartbeats - José González

Mitch's POV

Every day while I was locked up in my room, I was given nothing to do, and therefore had to improvise. Sometimes I'd kick around small dust balls, create music using anything I could find, or jump on the rickety floorboards to freak out Ryan's dates. However, what interested me the most was the one window in the attic. I would wake up beside the window to see the sunrise and went to sleep watching the sunset. There were no curtains to cover the window at night, but I was okay with that. I'd gotten so used to being in the attic, the window became my best friend. When I got the chance, I'd clean it more than any other object in the entire house. Since the shack sat on a hill above the rest of town, I would always be able to see a clear view of the magnificent castle in the distance. While I spent hours at a time in that attic, I daydreamed about one day finally traveling past the marketplace. After 20 years of the same routine, I finally had the chance to fulfill my dream. I felt stupid for not planning to attend the gala.

A day after the incident with Natalie, I came to a conclusion. I needed to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake by not going to the gala. The day happened to be when I would meet Jerome again. If I was going to do anything to prove myself, it had to be as soon as possible.

I quickly searched around on the floor for a nail or small object that could fit inside of a keyhole. Eventually, I got my hands on a paper clip which I used to unlock the hatch to the second floor. I subtly climbed down the ladder from the attic and landed on the floor without making much noise. Upon finding a collection of my white stones sitting next to the fireplace, I grabbed them and snuck into the town. Ryan never noticed I was missing, since he had been doing business with Natalie that I had no intention to know.

As I walked through the marketplace, I spotted an array of familiar faces, not to mention many new ones as well. Most of these people were probably here for the gala and wanted to see the sights of Star City. I wouldn't have blamed them. I'd done the same if I were a rich tourist or nobleman.

I was so focused on the smiling faces surrounding me that I didn't realize I'd bumped into someone. Once I glanced up, I met the scowl of Quentin, the guard who Jerome saved me from. I gulped.

"You! I thought the prince took care of you!"

"Good day to you sir, I must be on my way," I told Quentin without any breaths in between. Once the guard reached in to grab me, I already sped past the townspeople like a bullet.

"Come back here, thief!" However loud he screamed, I didn't turn back. My dream to escape reality if only just for a day was definitely more important to me than possibly being thrown in prison.

JeromeJeromeJerome. I need to find Jerome. His name swirled inside my head until I reached the polished stone border enclosing the Aceti castle. It was embellished by a thin chain entryway, which was guarded by another solider who didn't notice as my arm swung around the border and I hurled my back onto the wall. I was no longer visible to anyone except those inside the walls, including Quentin and the guard at the gate. When I stretched my neck to look behind me, no one was there. I tiredly exhaled and steadily tiptoed towards a section of the castle which seemed the least crowded.