Another Mitch?

In my opinion, Chapter 7 is very cute towards the end. There's quite a bit of conflict at the beginning though, so I guess it's pretty intense overall. Kinda develops the Merome ship... Let's just say it officially sails during this chapter.

SotC: Same Love (Glee Cast Version) - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Mitch's POV

With the hood of my red cape over my head, I rushed down the streets of town, my main focus getting to the castle. Rain pattered down on the cape as I squeezed past intrigued commoners. These townspeople weren't invited to the party but wanted to see the event for themselves from afar. "I'm gonna be late," I thought to myself. Hopefully Ryan wouldn't find me there, or else my dream of being in the castle would be lost forever and I'd never leave home again.

Once I arrived at the castle, I was exhausted from running, but stopped to marvel at the magnificent building Jerome called home. The castle at night looked even prettier than during the daytime. Small lights hung from the rooftops, giving off a warm feeling. The loud clamper of horse hooves and wooden wheels were heard as the carriages of out-of-town guests drove in front. Ladies in dazzling circle dresses and gentlemen in noble suits gathered in lines outside the castle, covered by their capes, awaiting to enter the party. Apparently, parties in Star City were a big deal; everyone who had a name to them attended.

I took in a breath and made my way towards the main entrance.

Less than five minutes later, I reached the front of the line to enter the gala. The door was only a short distance away and I could see guests drinking champagne and laughing. Couples danced on the dance floor, which made me wish that one of those couples was Jerome and I.

With my luck, I ended up in front of Quentin once again. I then realized he was the only guard at my entrance checking guests. "How can I help you?"

I gulped. Trying to disguise my voice, I talked in a lower pitch. My head was also lowered and covered by the cape so Quentin wouldn't find out it was me. "I'm on the list."

"Name?"

"Mitch."

"Mitch who?" Quentin kept his eyes glued to the list of attendees.

"McNulty."

"He's already here," the guard responded blankly.

"What?!" I returned to my normal voice and raised my head slightly. Who could've gone under my name? Who else would know me besides...

"He's already here." Quentin repeated, more annoyed than before.

"But I'm..." I hesitated before speaking and finally understood the situation. Ryan had gone under my name to get into the gala, and now I was stuck outside. How would Jerome react when he couldn't recognize the young man the guards checked in as Mitch McNulty?

Quentin lifted his eyes and stared at my face under the mask long and hard. Once he figured out my identity, he growled. "You!"

I froze, looking straight at Quentin's face. His eyes were surrounded by a blue mask which most likely symbolized the waves of an ocean.

"You're that... thief!" The guard continued, irritated, "First, you steal, then you trespass, and now you're trying to impersonate a royal guest!"

"It's not what you think... I am the real Mitch..." I lifted my hands in surrender as I pleaded with the guard, but it was no use.

"Oh, as if." Quentin motioned for another guard who stood off to the side to take his shift while he dealt with me himself.

Quentin covered my mouth with his hand as he pushed my back against the thick cobblestone pole. I thought I could see a figure nearby, but I pushed it to the back of my mind. Only one or two people standing in line watched my struggle in silence; they and the other guests didn't care about some impoverished boy being mistreated by a royal guard. Meanwhile, I tried to push myself out of Quentin's tight grip but I came to the realization my luck had gotten me far enough. There was nowhere to go but down.