XIV

What was probably only a minute felt like hours, you felt impatience as you awaited confirmation that you had been heard talking about the true identity of Jack the Ripper.

"Excuse me miss-"

Your shoulders rise in surprise and the hairs on your neck prickle. The beat of your heart rings in your ears and you curse yourself for being so outwardly skittish.

Noticing your discomfort, Grell falters, "ah- I'm sorry miss, I didn't mean to startle you-" speech chopped and sputtered, you understand how good of an actress Grell manages to be, playing the part of the useless and timid attendant well. 

"No uhm-" you rebuff, trying to keep your thoughts away from Grell's true identity, "What is it?" You pray to whatever being may or may not exist that the reaper doesn't bring up the topic of conversation you'd had with Sebastian a moment prior.

Grell takes a few long strides forward to be at your side. Turning to face you, those glasses, again, reflect your humanity right back at you. "I wanted to introduce myself, the name is Grell." a hand is extended your way sending the tower of presents immediately to the floor.

There's a moments pause between the two of you before Grell lets out a shriek, "Oh no!" dropping to the floor, the two of you scramble to pick up the strewn boxes, making a second stack for yourself to carry this time.

"I'm so hopeless, I will never be a good butler." There's a note of melancholy in Grell's voice which you suspect is completely put on. "I should just end it all now, spare those around me the burden of my existence!" The reaper falls back against a nearby door, one arm shielding their face and a hand wrapped loosely around their neck.

You can't help but scrunch your brows at the sight, knowing the reaper wasn't serious in their dramatic display of self-hatred. You also couldn't help but feel bad, knowing this was probably some wierd call back to the actions that must have transpired for them to become a reaper in the first place. Grell notices and peers at you from the corner of their eyes.

"Nothing? You're not going to tell me not to kill myself?" The words show no concern for their own safety, more just a confusion that someone who understand the finality of death would show no concern for someone they should perceive as mortal. Maybe you should have played it up a little, but you were too busy ruminating on the subject of reapers born of suicide.

"I don't think you should... Kill yourself." you respond, feeling a phantom drip of sweat on your temple. 

Grell's interest piques, eyes almost flashing green for a moment until finally, they come away from the door, "Not quite the response I was expecting." eyebrow raised as they eye you from top to bottom.

"Hm, do tell, what response was it that you wanted?" Came the voice of the other supernatural being in the manor. "It is a Phantomhive servant's duty to provide our guests with all that they desire." Sebastian comes to a stop by your side, peeking from the corner of his eyes at you. "I apologize our maid was unable to do that, it would appear I need to teach her more thoroughly what it means to serve." 

Silence befalls the three of you, Sebastian having put on a close eyed smile to end his sentence, leaving you and Grell to stare at each other in minor disbelief. You're almost certain the reaper's pupils have formed into hearts, while your expression is transfigured with embarrassment. The demon just had to put it like that.

Grell looks at Sebastian with both lust and ferocity, "Even for little old me?" 

There's a twinge in Sebastian's jaw, visible from your position beside him, "Why yes, as low as a common servant is, even you are a guest of ours today and thus must be shown the hospitality we so rightly pride ourselves in." What a sentence, he managed not only to insult Grell and the lower class, but also managed to brag about Phantomhive servants being the best.

You don't think any of that phased Grell though, the reaper being wholly in awe with the tall, dark and handsome butler, or at the very least appearing to be. "Amazing, you truly are as incredible and capable as they say."

Grell absently moves to you and places his stack of boxes on top of yours. You make a noise in protest but are ignored as the reaper makes their way to Sebastian, both hands clasping around one of his as they bow, "I would be honoured if you could impart some of your knowledge onto me."

"Hey-" You interject, barely able to keep the now doubled stack of gifts from toppling to the floor.

"It would be my pleasure," Sebastian says, effortlessly taking the entire tower of gifts from your hands and depositing them straight into Grell's, "My first recommendation would be that you complete the task your master had assigned to you. Post-haste." There's a tang of venom to his words, likes he's spitting out a foul taste.

"Yes of course!" The reaper, now standing arrow straight, looks to you, "Miss, if you wouldn't mind leading the way?"

You look at the two of them, both watching you with inhuman curiosity and a lifetime of patience. "Right, sure. This way..."