XVII

Fear washed over you at the thought that you had insulted the demon, a being which cared not for your complaints but about what you could do for his carefully constructed meal. He was allowing you to live, you relinquished say in what became of your life from the moment you laid eyes on Sebastian. What felt like a dream before, living with your fictional crush in the anime world, was slowly revealing itself to be a nightmare. Every move you made was scrutinized under a red gaze and you suspected that regardless of any value you had as an appetizer, you would be thrown out at the first sign of spoiling.

Your neck and face began to heat up and you could feel the cold of the air fighting your rising body temperature. It was the feeling of dread. You would cry at such a slip of the tongue were it not for the knowledge that tears would only piss the demon off. The thought of backpedaling crossed your mind, taking back what you said and promising you didn't mean it but instead you looked upon the face of the man in front of you as he clicked his tongue.

"I will let this go. You clearly regret your choice in words," he said, smirking ever so slightly, "The way your human bodies react to fear is as fascinating as ever." He degloved one hand and rested it on your cheek, having it remain there even after you recoiled at the action, "I'd think you sick if I were not here to witness you make a blunder in front of your superior."

You pulled away and raised your own hand to your cheek, noticing the cold bite your fingertips made on your skin. "I'm sorry." you quietly apologized. There was a note of reluctance in your voice, you having not felt like you were in the wrong and yet feeling like you couldn't be more in the wrong.

The demon's sly smirk remained as he closed his eyes, "I trust you will not overstep your boundaries." When his eyes opened again all you saw was the cold behind them, a natural stoicism. "As I am sure you are aware, I alone have the last say in matters regarding Ciel. He is my meal after all."

The casual demeanor in which he addressed his master when around you felt strange, like he was baiting you into a feeling of familiarity or intimacy, as if to say you alone were privy to his true carnal nature. You forced your focus away from Sebastian, instead counting the beat of your heart which had begun to quicken. The normally steady thrum was overtaken by the loud thump ringing in your ears.

Along with the recognition that your heartbeat was abnormal came the sudden sting in your lungs as you fought to gulp down enough air to breathe. Your heart pounded against your ribcage and your temples began to throb.

You noticed through lidded eyes that Sebastian had taken to staring at you with mild amusement, "May I be of assistance?" he asked, no note of sincerity to his words, instead he almost sounded teasing. "It appears you are in a state of panic. You need only request my help and I shall relieve you of your discomfort."

You shook your head, placing a hand over your chest to try and ease the panic yourself but to no avail, it was as if your body was not under your control. You considered that at that moment, maybe it wasn't. The glowing fuchsia of the demon's eyes bore holes into your stippled skin and you thought about the few other times your body had reacted external to your command.

"Is this because of you?" you questioned, swallowing the spit that pooled on your tongue.

A chuckle sounded in his throat, "It's not as amusing if you pick up on my tricks so quickly," he admitted with a sigh and a lick of his upper lip, "It appears your wrath is just as easy to manipulate." He took steps towards you and you couldn't fight the repulsion of your body until your back hit the wall.

"My wrath?" you managed through trembling lips.

"Toying with that particular sin in a human who is angry often renders them an anxious," he reached out to twirl a loose strand of your hair around his finger, "trembling mess."

Your mouth parted as you sucked in a short breath, "Why... Why are you doing that?" you asked, feeling your heart rush to pump blood through your veins.

He raised a brow and pulled away, a catty smirk on his lips, "Because I wanted to. It's amusing, even more so with someone as curious as you, a human from another world." He placed his thumb and forefinger on his chin in thought, "A human who is aware that I am a demon." He blinked and when his eyes opened, that inhuman glow was gone, and so too was the ache of fear.

"You should sleep." he told you with eyes shut in contentment.

He had complete control of you in that moment, he alone put you in pain and then was the one to relieve you of it. He was making it clear that you were to fear him and yet you were to rely on him. You recognized that there were benefits to having the demon in your favor, namely the comfort he could provide you in return for your knowledge, but that wasn't to say it was without strife. To dance with and be led by a demon was both monetarily rewarding and eternally damning.

The whole interaction had given you severe whiplash so you were more than happy to just retire to your bedroom without so much as a goodbye.

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ ⟨ ⏣ ⟩ ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

The next few days had gone by with little to nothing of note, nothing that had occurred in the show anyway. The day after your run in with the demon, Ciel had planned for the children of an orphanage to come to the manor for a day of play. It was last minute and you guessed it was mostly just organized to piss Sebastian off, a past time the young earl seemed to regularly enjoy.

Then finally it was time for Grell to show up at the manor, which you knew would turn out to be... an eventful visit.