XX

You awoke with a keen awareness that you were being watched. You tried desperately to open your eyes, realising with unease that they already were open. Your vision could not penetrate the vanta black of the room but through touch, you knew you were in bed. You tried to speak, but all that came out was a soft groan.

“I must apologize. It seems my hunger has gotten the better of me,” came a far off voice, as if it were in the room with you but spoken through a non physical presence, “I was unaware of what I was doing to you until it was too late. Do not worry, I can promise you have not made a fool of yourself tonight.”

“Sebastian…” you muttered, able to put a name to that rich cadence even with the haze in your head. In fact, that may have been the only thing you could think about. Things about Sebastian. Sebastian... Sebastian...

You wanted to ask what was happening but part of you didn’t care much for knowing, you believed you were content to just exist in the demon’s presence. It was as if your body ached for him, ached to be held, to be entrapped, to be devoured. If he was to consume you then, you would have thanked him for it. You held such unbridled desire to be destroyed, body and soul, by a being that awakened a primitive terror within you. As if to beg him to just take you then and there for fear that you would suffer having to go another day of not being one with him. 

If he wanted you, you would freely part with yourself. Happy to sate a demon’s hunger, or to simply whet his palette. You would have been satisfied with being of little sustenance, just as long as he’d have you. You needed him to have you, to take you. You would give… and give… and give.

You heard a creak as a weight shifted near your head and by your torso. Moving to identify the pressure through touch, you could feel a gloved hand and a clothed thigh. He was sitting on the edge of the mattress leaning over you. “During the dance we shared, I caught on to a peculiar scent lingering on your soul.” he began, bringing himself down until his cheek was touching yours. With his mouth barely gracing your jaw he smirked, “Something so delicious, like a pleasure I am forbidden to indulge in.” You turned your head, surprised to finally see something through the pitch, his eyes, “I must taste it.”

You welcomed the kiss with fervent desperation, bringing one hand up to rest on the nape of his neck and the other to tangle in his hair. Nose pressed into your cheek, his lips were soft and warm, his tongue-

You heard a sound almost akin to thunder rumbling in the clouds coming from Sebastian’s throat, at the same time, the hand not planted beside your head had come to rest at the base of your skull. Thumb pressed behind your ear. He was pulling you in, deepening the kiss and openly admitting his own desperation. Like a man starved, finally taking a single bite. 

He pulled away, which he might have done for your sake. Your lungs screamed for air but you hadn’t heard it over the pounding of your heart. "As I thought. There's a vengeance on your soul," he told you, with a breathiness in his voice that made you squirm. 

You weren’t sure what that kiss did but you seemed to have enough clarity in your mind for you to think of what he’d just said. “Vengeance… on my soul?” The confusion you expected but the fragility of your voice surprised you.

As the darkness in the room receded, you could finally see the rest of his face, mere inches away from your own, “Yes, I had wondered why your soul attracted me so much in the beginning,” he started and he leant down to bury his nose in the crook of your neck, “You can think of it like a curse, during one’s dying breath their anger, fury and hatred had been directed towards you.” 

You thought about it for a moment, processing that he had just told you that you pissed someone off so much that they cursed you. You had no idea what that curse entailed but surely it was nothing good. Thinking back to all the people you’d made angry or hurt, you couldn’t think of anyone who would have died mad at you. Confused, you opened your mouth to speak but were cut off.