IV

Once you had accepted the deal with the devil himself you were brought outside, once again assaulted by the cold. Your shivering hadn't gone unnoticed and, as cliché as it was, it wasn't long after you stepped out of the shop that Sebastian's coat was draped around your shoulders. You dared to look at him and he already had a butler's smile on his face, feigning a pleasure to serve.

"If I did not provide my coat for a lady in the cold, well then, what-"

You interrupted him, having heard the line plenty of times on screen, "then what kind of butler would you be." It didn't occur to you immediately that maybe you shouldn't be interrupting a demon, but when it did you begin to form an apology before his smile appeared more genuine.

"Ah, I see. You are even familiar with one of my catchphrases." He turned away focusing instead on the mostly empty street. "I would hope that I am not too predictable, miss fortune teller." You wanted to assure him that he probably wasn't, as much as you had seen from Black Butler, there was also plenty that the show left out between episodes. He didn't give you the chance though as before the words had begun to form, he had already scooped you up into his arms and leapt high into the air.

A scream was ripped from your throat and you clutched onto the demon's shoulder as if your life depended on it, truthfully, maybe it did. You didn't dare to look down, afraid of just how high you were and you cursed yourself inwardly and a little outwardly over how easily you had let your guard down around this fictional character. Sebastian landed on the roof of a nearby building without so much as a thud, you barely noticed you'd even landed until he told you, "Please do not scream, I would rather not attract the attention of others. Your kind do not think lightly of someone who is able to leap across buildings." His expression was slightly scolding and you were inclined to do as he said. You nodded, worried the dryness in your mouth would make your words inaudible anyway. "Thank you." he supplied in response before once again leaping up and over the rooftops of countless buildings.

You finally opened your eyes when you no longer felt the rush of wind on your face and through your hair. What you noticed first is the staircase leading up to the front doors. You could just barely make out the delicate brickwork exterior in the moonlight but there was no doubt about it, this mansion was incredibly grand. Sebastian let you down, gently, and you took a moment to admire what you could see of the architecture. "Quite the picture of wealth and power, is it not?" You heard from behind you. "I'm afraid it's quite difficult for humans to see it's full glory in such dim lighting." Sebastian walked past you and up to the doors, opening one and bowing, gesturing for you to come in.

You followed him up, thanking him as you took a step into the mansion. The inside was brightened by oil lamps adorning the walls and you felt a lot warmer once you were finally indoors. Turning to Sebastian, you notice he had begun to move further into the foyer and you followed. "This way," he said, walking to the right. You followed him deeper into the labyrinth that was the Phantomhive estate and it occurred to you that the layout was left relatively vague in the series.

After passing through a few doorways Sebastian came to a stop just outside of a door with smoke pouring out from beneath it. Using your skills of deduction, you made an educated guess that that was the kitchen. Your suspicions were confirmed when you could hear shouting.

"Oi! Mey-Rin, keep to tha' other side of tha' room, I'm 'boutta fire up the flamethrowa' again." You were sure that was Baldroy's voice and you stepped back a little, preparing to run if a fire broke out.

A shriek followed before you heard the aforementioned maid, "Baldroy, I don't think we should be cookin' without Sebastian 'ere, no I don't."

"Oh c'mon, we're capable a' cooking a meal for tha' master. 'Sides, Sebastian'll be back soon, he can make th' desert."