III

You blew it, you felt like you had missed your chance at being a main character. Maybe it was for the best, death followed those two like a shadow. Still, you thought that maybe something more was supposed to happen.

You slumped down on top of yet another coffin. Feeling the weight of the situation hang around your neck and you choked, a sob making its way past your lips. What were you doing there? More importantly, how were you supposed to go back? Back to your own world with your friends, family and modern luxuries.

You would be lying if you said you weren't terrified that you might never go back. You would have preferred to not exchange your fluffy blankets and fatty snacks for stiff rags and dog treats. You rubbed at your eyes, trying and failing to rid yourself of tears as fresh ones kept pouring out. You were panicking, your throat felt tight and all you could hear were your own ragged breaths.

"Are you a'ight?" You heard the undertaker ask between your hiccups. No answer formed on your mouth so you shook your head, feeling hopeless. Curling up into a ball and crying would do nothing, of course you knew that, but sometimes it helped to clear your head. You folded in on yourself, hugging the blanket tighter.

As you quietly cried the reaper shuffled around you, going about his own business. There were customers who came in while you sat there, defeated, most of which appeared to be grieving families looking for the undertaker's service but there were a few who came looking for information. Kindly, the reaper warned you before he showed off a dead body and you took that moment to step outside and establish your surroundings.

The bakery across the street, the one you were kicked awake in front of, the hat shop next to it and then the residential building next to that. Even as the shops changed as you looked down the street, one thing stayed a constant, the beggars and disheveled looking men, women and children. They lined the footpaths and you watched as people dressed in bright dresses and pristine suits scoffed at the less fortunate.

You hated to see it, those poor people looked down upon because of their social standing. You then thought to yourself just how easily that could have been you if you hadn't woken up across the street of the undertaker's shop. If he hadn't believed your story so easily.

Once the customers had left you made your way back into the shop. The reaper beckoned you over and you oblige, curious what he wanted.

"It's just occurred t'me, dearie, that I never got ya name. I mean, ya seem t'know all 'bout me. I'd like ta put a name to ya face." The man's top hat slid forward as he leaned toward you and he set it back straight.

You hadn't even realized you forgot to tell him your name, it seemed kind of silly but then again, he didn't ask for it you suppose. "It's [Y/N]." you told him, running a hand through your hair and realizing it needed a brush, badly.

"[Y/N]? I see, fantastic! Well, [Y/N] 'm off to run some errands. I'll be back when th'sun is down, ya welcome to stay in th'shop an' if anyone comes by tell 'em ill be back lata." He made a move toward the door and you stumbled to stop him.

"Wait, wait, where are you going?" you asked, curious what was so important that you had to be left alone until dark.

"Me biscuits don't replace 'emselves." He let loose a giggle and your face fell flat. You were being left defenseless in a world you had only just woken up in because he wanted dog treats? You could have cried again.

Before you could voice your concerns he was out the door leaving you stunned. Great. You made your way over to the door and locked it, as much as you would have liked to do as the undertaker asked, your anxiety was telling you that you shouldn't answer the door if anyone came knocking.