XXI

You would have killed for a Panadol. You had been fending off a raging headache for the better part of the morning which you suspected was a result of the lack of sleep you had been getting for the past week. Sebastian had kept his distance from you except for when he was delegating chores. Other than that there was no mention of the night the two of you shared, nor mention of when it would be happening again.
None of that stopped you from staying up late at night, wondering if you’d be seeing the demon creeping into your room and ruining the stark silence with promises of sin. 

It was well into the morning before you caught a glimpse of the darkness clad butler. He passed you in the hallway with a letter on a silver platter, eyeing you down as you attempted to make yourself scarce before him. “Come,” he commanded, and you tried and failed to hide the creeping blush on your face. 

“Yes sir…” 

The two of you walked in silence, the demon holding a smug grin on his face as he watched you squirm in his presence. 

“Young master,” Sebastian announced with a knock as the two of you stood outside the boy’s office.

The boy beckoned his butler in and you followed. “My lord, you have received a letter from her majesty, the queen,” he informed, making his way over to his master to present him with the contents on the silver platter. 

Ciel sighed and plucked the envelope from the tray, “What is it now?" He picked at the Royal seal with his letter opener and then sliced under the join.

The further the boy's progression through the letter, the duller his expression became. With the click of his tongue he sat back in his chair and raised his head to stare blankly at the ceiling. "Why is she here?" he asked his attendant as he pointed the sharp end of the letter opener in your direction. 

Sebastian's grin, ever in place, widened, "My lord, upon receiving the letter, I suspected her majesty had requested your assistance in matters of the underworld again," as he gestured towards you, the boy raised a brow, clearly skeptical, "I would think it a pity to not put her skills of clairvoyance to use." 

Ciel looked between the two of you, once, then twice, before he rested his arms on his desk, "I suppose it would be best to utilise the tools at my disposal," he said more to himself than the others present. "Very well, Sebastian, send for a carriage. Though I do not wish it, this matter will require the three of us to depart to the city."

"The city?" you questioned, finding a break in the conversation to finally feel a part of it. 

The two of them, still not entirely used to your poor manners, turned to acknowledge you. "Yes, the city." Ciel confirmed, standing up from his too big seat, "There is some loon flitting about the streets of London committing gruesome acts of murder." 

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ ⟨ ⏣ ⟩ ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

The carriage ride was quiet, save for the clatter of hooves and large, wooden wheels over cobblestones and dirt. You and Sebastian had been sitting in the coaches seat for long enough that you could barely feel your ass. The vibrations having numbed it almost completely.

Just as you stretched to try and quell the sharp pain in your spine Sebastian spoke up, "Are you bored?" he asked, eyes kept straight ahead on the empty dirt road. 

You could have answered with the obvious but you felt the time was right for a little lesson in the future. "Well, I'd normally be playing or reading something on my mobile phone, but given that those don't exist in this time period, I have nothing to entertain me." 

He took the bait, "Would you like to tell me what a mobile phone is?"
So, you explained it to him. Giving him a little lesson on cell phones and even social media. You prattled on down conversation pathways you hadn't meant to, but you were just happy to be able to talk about what you knew, you hoped that you even sounded smart. What may have sounded very bare bones and basic in your time was probably blowing Sebastian's mind.

That's what you wanted to think anyway.

You hadn't even noticed as he slipped the reins of the carriage into You left hand. Not until he told you to pull on them.

"Ah fuck-" you exclaimed, pulling the reins close and watching as the horses heads fought against the motion until they came to a stop, one with a winny. "Sorry, oh my god sorry." 

You turned to cast a glare at Sebastian who looked back at you with lidded eyes under the brim of his hat, the barest tug of a smirk on his lips. "A lesson for a lesson." 

"Hey wait, why am I learning to drive a carriage?" Your hold on the reins slackened with the tremble of your fingers. Learning how to drive a car was bad enough, but having to control a live animal?

His hand gripped your own, placing the reins in the correct position between your fingers. "It is an important skill to master in this time," he emphasized with a grin in his voice, "Though I cannot say I understand the importance of followers on instagram," he began, excusing himself as he moved your legs, "I do know the importance of being able to drive a carriage should the need arise."

He placed the whip in your right hand and though you verbally protested the idea, you listened carefully as he instructed you. "Now, this should cure that boredom of yours."

As he was explaining how to turn the horse you heard two thumps on the roof of the carriage, then two more as Sebastian knocked back. "The young lord is telling us to hurry up."

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ ⟨ ⏣ ⟩ ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

The three of you made it to the Lord’s city manor, in one piece once Sebastian had taken back the reins.

Hopping down from the passenger seat while the butler helped his master out of the carriage, you almost stumbled face first into the dirt, “I’m okay!” you reassured no one.

Ever the pessimist, the boy made his way up the steps with a grumble, “I hate this, there are too many people in London.” At the remark, you looked back at the gates where people mulled about on the footpath outside the boundary.

“There is no helping it, my lord,” Sebastian retorted, holding the door open for Ciel and closing it behind you, “It’s tradition for the nobility to migrate en masse to town from the country every season.”

Ciel huffed, removing his hat and coat to be taken by his butler, “A waste of time if you ask me.”

“My lord, It could do you well to spend time away from the manor. Such… consistent chaos cannot be good for one to endure.”

You smirked at the thought of the other four residents figuring out how to survive without Sebastian’s guidance. It made you all the more grateful that you got to go on this trip instead of being stuck at the manor with the others.

“You may be able to enjoy some peace and-” Sebastian was interrupted by rustling from the floor above.

“Oh uh-” with their attention on you, you brought your hand up to the back of your neck, “I forgot to mention, Mr. Lau and Madam Red are upstairs,” you paused to deliver the worst news, “as is Grell.”

Ciel closed his eye and took a deep breath in, “So much for getting away from chaos.”

Sebastian looked down upon you, a twinge in his brow, “What reason could they have for coming here?”
“... Tea?” You meant that in both a literal and figurative sense. You knew that when they were caught they were literally searching for tea, but figurative in the way that they were there for information. 

Nonetheless, the three of you made your way upstairs not at all surprised to see who was there. Sarcastically, the boy greeted them, “Madam Red, Lau. To what do I owe the pleasure?” 

Red was the first to respond, clasping her hands together and strode towards her nephew, “Ciel, my darling boy. I hadn’t expected you to be in the city at all this season, what a delightful surprise!” She embraced the boy tightly which he barely reciprocated. 

“Your presence here in town must mean…” Lau’s interjection into the conversation was short lived, the man clearly having lost his train of thought, if it had a destination at all.

Madam Red, pulling away from the disgruntled earl, finished the thought, “It must mean there is something that requires your urgent attention.” She glanced at you briefly, perhaps unsure of how much you knew about the Phantomhive’s responsibility to the Queen.

Ciel ran a hand through his hair, resting it on his eyepatch to perhaps check it was still in place, "So it must."