A RAINY DAY

RAGHAV MENON (AKA RAGHAV)

I was looking outside the window. It was about drizzling a little. An unexpected rain though. Suddenly it started to pour like anything.

It was raining outside heavily. Our cafe was crowded. Many people were squashing on each other. I was on my way to my cabin. My friend Shiva was calling me as I got an important call. I was getting squashed along with them too. 

I have not faced such a crowd in my cafe for a long time. Suddenly I felt a jerk.

Someone was about to fall on me. A young lady. I held her arms to prevent her from falling. I could feel the wetness of her hair on my shirt. She immediately released from my grip and turned to look at me.

Her orbs were dark-brown in colour. Her face was wet with the droplets dripping from her face. Her lips looked like rose petals. It moved to bring her sweet voice which said, "Thank you." I was moved by her voice and taken back to the real world. 

"Raghav, your phone dammit!!" Shiva shouted. I just realized that my  friend was shouting my name and I went to the cabin and picked my phone. After that, I was sitting in my cabin and was thinking about the beauty who bumped me today. She at last got a place and was sitting there with her friends. 

I can see the cafe from my cabin window. I have never thought about any woman like this so much. I had many proposals from my college and I strongly rejected them. I have never fallen for any women. Nor I have had any thought like this about any women.

I am basically from Cochin and Kerala is my home. I am a Malayali. But I know everything about Chennai, because for every single vacation, I come here in my childhood because Shiva was here. He is my childhood friend and my business partner right now. We are running our own cafe in Chennai for the past 3 years and we have many branches here.

Its my dream since my childhood to open a cafe on my own. I love coffee and I love cafe. I used to collect every single piece of information about how they run, the interiors in the shop, etc.. till now. And now it has come true. Seeing many people who come to my cafe and enjoying their coffee makes me happy. Even now I was looking at my customers.

That is why I even set a window in my cabin.

As for my family, never mind. I hate talking about them. Its because of them every single thing changed in my life...Its been so long since I met my family. It was because of them my happiness was gone. But I gained it back here. But still...

 They are the ones who made my life miserable. I just wanted to get rid of those thoughts so I immediately diverted myself to the woman who just charmed me now. Who is she? How did she give me a feel that no other women ever gave me?

ANKITA 

Me and my friends were about walk and go to marina after shopping but this rain came from nowhere. It literally spoiled our plan. And of course, my new kurti was spoiled. Never mind. When rain comes, my mind always travels to a cup of coffee. I love coffee with rain.

That is why I dragged my friends for half a kilometer to this nearby cafe even though it was pouring. "See, its because of your stupid love for coffee, you made us catch a cold Ankita." Vasundhara said. "Vasu, you know me na. See I will itself pay the bill okay?" I said.

This is a cafe which I have never visited before. I heard many people say that this cafe was so good. God has now only sent me here. Let me see.  We ordered our food items and were chit-chatting. It was so cold. I just put my shawl around and took my phone.

I saw the date. I did not check it today. It was 13th October. 13th.. 13th.... October.... It was the proposal anniversary. My proposal anniversary. Our proposal anniversary. Today was the day he proposed. Gautam proposed me today. 

5 years back. It was five years back he proposed me. Me and Gautam loved for 2 years and we broke up. It was on our proposal anniversary we broke up. Old memories just flashed. The man whom I thought was the love of my life, the man I loved till my death.. 

I was not feeling like last times but still... I did not cry like last time. And he does not deserve it in first place. I just diverted my thoughts and saw my cup of coffee coming. I took a sip and closed my eyes. What a feel. Very relaxing. That too for this weather.

And the coffee was so good. I just opened my eyes took one more sip. I wish this cafe was near my office. Even a new cafe was coming to my office area. I just felt like someone was looking at me. I saw near the entrance. A good-looking man in his late 20s (like me) was seeing me and was smiling.

I just looked into my coffee and continued to drink. Oh these days... "Hello young ladies" I heard a cheerful voice. It was the man who was standing and seeing me. "Hi, what do you want sir?" I asked. "you review, about the coffee, and this cafe."

"Yeah I loved it and the cafe is good.. and you are?" 

"Um.. Owner. Owner of this coffee shop." He said. Oh.. He was the owner. "Oh.. nice. Your cafe is so good. Its the first time I am visiting. My friends have come to another branch of yours.  So I decided to try." I said.

"That's good then. I hope you will visit my cafe regularly." He said. "I would love to but I am not here as you see." I said. "That's fine, I am glad that you liked it." He said and went.

The rain got over and I paid the bill as punishment. That too these dumbos bought so much to eat to take revenge on me. "Happy people? Have some sense to take revenge okay? The food got wasted." I said. "Revenge is revenge okay?" Vasu said.

I reached home after that. I refreshed myself and was sitting on the sofa and watching TV. A romantic playlist was going on the TV. Break-free songs. My thoughts slowly travelled back to the old days.

Days were me and Gautham used to love each other, call each other. Oh my god.. Whenever I see something like this, this comes to my mind. I was happy in every way before I saw Gautham. I was a simple girl with many dreams.

I just made one mistake in my life: Gautham. That mistake made my waste nearly six months. It was not a normal break-up. A break-up which just broke my prestige and myself. More than separating from him, this one hurt me the most.

I just switched off the TV and sat for dinner. My mom and dad were discussing about my alliance. Its not fixed but it seems one will work. But that person must understand me and my past. I will marry that person.

RAGHAV

I was having dinner in Shiva's house. Shiva's mom called me today. We both were eating dinner together. I was wondering why I was thinking about that woman. I heard her friend calling her name. It was Ankita. What a sweet name. "Hey man, are you gonna eat or not?" Shiva asked me.

"Oh sorry, I will." I started eating. Shiva's dad came and greeted us. Its been a long time since I saw him. He sat with us and ate dinner. "So Raghav, how's the business?" 

"Yes uncle good. And we are also opening a new branch." 

"Yeah Shiva said. Perfect location where all the people come. Next where are you gonna open?"

"No idea uncle." 

"And your dad called.." He said. Why? To make this peaceful and simple life upside down again? "What did he say uncle?" I asked. I need to know for what he called. "Its just about you and how are you doing." He said. I clenched my fists and blood rushed to my face. Shiva threw his shoulder around me and asked:

"What about your road trip plan?" Shiva asked me. I knew it was to divert me. "Maybe next March end." I said. I wanted this solo trip. In my Royal Enfield. It is my another childhood dream to travel all along India.

I need to make plans accordingly and I need to first launch our new cafe next week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey readers, so this is the 1st chapter of my second book. I hope you liked it. Every week, new updates for sure ( I don't know when but) and bonus chapters when I have time to write. Please do vote for me and support me like last time. Meanwhile, enjoy this chapter :)