CHAPTER 10: MALLRATS

LUNCH, WAS A welcome respite after the long morning of classes I had. It seemed every teacher was inclined to give us piles of homework today. I knew as soon as I was done shopping with the girls, I'd have to buckle down to finish my work.

I sat inside the cafeteria and soon Ali and Susan found me sitting with Barbara and Linda. Linda, the new girl was telling Barbara about how she plays tennis and was in deep explanation of how a tournament works.

I picked at my food slowly, not really hungry at the moment. "Linda, you should totally come with us after school to shop for a Halloween costume for the dance!" Barbara's voice was very excited.

"A dance?" Linda looked a bit nervous. "I don't really go to those things."

"What?" Susan let out a cry of disbelief. "You have to come. We're all going!"

"It will be fun," I told her. "I'm not a huge fan of school events and all but I do like a good costume. We're going to the mall tonight and hitting up a few stores to see what we can find. Just come with and if you find something it will mean you're destined to go."

Linda smiled and nodded in agreement, "Okay, I'll go with. But that doesn't mean I'll find a costume or anything."

"Perfect!" Ali said. "I'm driving so just find one of us and meet at my car after school." Ali smiled and clapped her hands together in delight.

I joined in on the excitement with a smile of my own when Johnny waltzed past, pausing briefly to talk to me. "Thought about my offer at all?"

The food in my mouth seemed dry as I swallowed and shook my head, "No. I've been too busy."

Johnny's brow furrowed a fraction but then returned to his normal cocky demeanor, "Do think about it. Otherwise I could be taken soon." Johnny turned to Ali for a split second, "Hey Ali." She completely ignored him though. With that being the end of the discussion Johnny turned away to sit at the table where the guys were already seated.

Susan turned to me, "What offer is he talking about (Y/N)?"

All eyes were on me, "Well, Johnny sort of asked me to go to the dance with him. Supposedly it's to make up for messing with the plans I had with Freddy."

The girls all looked a bit worried with the exception of Linda who didn't quite know what was going on since it was only her first day.

"Please tell me you aren't going to say yes." Ali's worried expression was plain on her face as she spoke. "He's bad news (Y/N). Yeah, he may be cute, but he can be a bully and has a bad attitude most of the time."

"Definitely a degenerate," Barbara said.

Linda was glancing over at Johnny, "He is cute. All blonde and handsome."

"He knows it too," Suzi said.

"Please don't worry guys, I know I'm not going to say yes. I think I'll hit this dance solo. There's less drama involved."

Ali let out a sigh of relief and smiled in encouragement, "That's great."

I nodded and went back to eating. I honestly didn't need a date to have fun at the dance but I couldn't help wondering what it would be like to go with Johnny Lawrence...

After school, Ali drove us to the mall. There were a few Halloween stores open and we checked those out. Both Barbara and Susan found their costumes within an hour. Susan's costume consisted of a purple cheetah getup and Barbara's included a suit with a top hat.