CHAPTER 26: NOT JUST A SIMPLE CAR RIDE

(A/N): Hey everyone so here it is as promised! Enjoy!

THE ORIENT WAS busy. Waitresses and waiters bustled across the floor, cleaning tables, taking orders and bringing out prepared dishes to their customers. It was always a constantly repeating cycle.

At the end of my shift, it was late and being at the bottom of the totem pole at the restaurant, it landed on me to take out any trash. I tossed the large bags into the near-empty dumpster, hearing the echoing thud as they landed on the metal bottom. I let the heavy lid slam shut, and turned to go back into the building but when I pulled the handle to the door it was locked from inside. Great, I thought irritatedly. I'd have to trudge around the whole structure to get back inside.

Sighing, I walked down the night-lit alley. When I hung a right around the corner I bumped into someone. "Geez, sorry I didn't see you ther—," A glance at who I ran into had me stopping in my tracks. "Daniel?"

The dark haired boy looked at me but his eyes were cold as they bore into mine.

I wanted to turn away from the hatred that seemed to radiate off of him but something had me glued in place. An apology was on the tip of my tongue but I wouldn't let it roll off so easily. I shouldn't have to apologize to him for dating someone he didn't get along with. Well, maybe that was an understatement of their situation.

Instead of me talking though, Daniel was the one to speak first. "How could you?"

I leaned back on my heels knowing exactly what and who he was referring to, "You don't know what he's really like Danny."

The boy from Newark recoiled, his face contorting into disbelief, "How can you say that? And don't call me Danny!" His words came out in a snarl. "You've seen the things he's done. The things he's done to me!"

"People make mistakes. Can't you see that?"

Daniel's lip curled up in disgust, "Yeah, I see it. I see the one you're making and keep defending." For a second his features softened but only slightly, "He's gonna hurt you, and I won't be there to see it." He sighed and shook his head, "As your friend, I'm telling you he isn't good for you. I hope maybe you can see that someday. Hopefully not too late either."

He left in a hurry as his mother came out of the restaurant, meeting her at the curb and getting in the car. Mrs. LaRusso waved at me, oblivious to her son's emotions. "(Y/N)! Don't forget your bag, it's by the door."

I smiled halfheartedly, "Thank Mrs. LaRusso. I'll make sure to grab it."

She nodded and then waved at the car, "You need a ride kiddo?"

My eye's widened, "Oh, no. I'm okay. My place isn't far down the road."

The woman waved her hand, gesturing to me that it was no problem, "Then it'll be even quicker for you if I drive ya! Grab your stuff and we'll go!"

"Mrs. LaRusso, I really don't need—,"

"Yeah Ma, she said she's goo-,"

"Nonsense! I insist dear." The woman waved me over again. Daniel's mother gave me a look that told me she wouldn't budge on her offer. She wasn't going to take 'no' for an answer. So, I grabbed my stuff and held my breath as I slowly slid into the backseat. Daniel sat in front, his face as rigid as stone as we drove off.

What had Daniel even been doing at the Orient? It was late and usually he had his bike. I couldn't think of any good reason besides just visiting his mother but somehow that didn't feel like it was the case.

The silence in the car was deafening but Daniel's mother didn't seem to mind, just drove along down the road, oblivious to any of the drama that was between her son and me.

My feet itched to jump out of the car. The air was thick with Daniel's repulsion. I wanted to get the hell away from him but I also wanted to shake the shit out of him too. I was just as angry at him. Perhaps we never were friends and it was just a matter of time. I didn't know what to think other than that I had hardly any fight left to save any sort of friendship we shared. If there was anything to save in the first place. Daniel clearly wasn't going to budge on his opinions and I just didn't have the energy to try and change them.

"Here we are! Safe and sound." Lucille turned around in her seat and smiled kindly, "Told ya it'd be quicker. Need a hand with your bag hun?"

I shook my head so fast I was dizzy, "No, no. I've got it." I leapt out of the vehicle, "Thanks for the ride Mrs. LaRusso." I looked at Daniel, "See ya at school."

Daniel grumbled and shuffled in his seat, "Yeah, see ya."

"Bye, Bye!" Mrs. LaRusso waved sweetly as she drove off, a happy smile still plastered over her face. I wished for a moment that I could see the world the way she did. The woman was always happy it seemed and barely let anything get her down. Maybe I'd have to ask her for some advice.

I unlocked the front door to the house with the spare key my father had recently given me. When I entered the place, no one was in sight and it was eerily quiet. At first I thought nothing of it and trotted upstairs to my room. I threw my duffel on the bed as I yawned and went into the connecting bathroom to wash up and change.

When I reemerged, I was suddenly and unexpectedly tackled to the ground from behind. A kick to the back of the leg and I was down on the floor. An arm was pressing against my windpipe a split second after. The force from my opponent caught me even more off guard and I struggled against them to free myself from their grasp as I fought to take in any breath I could.

My eyes watered and my movements were panicked. I couldn't breathe.

"Weakness! Get rid of it!" My father's voice rasped. He pressed his arm even more against my throat. "You have to be prepared at any moment! The enemy might know your weak spots, may be waiting for you anywhere!"

He suddenly let go of his hold on me and I gasped for breath, holding my crushed windpipe gingerly.

My father stood above me, "You have to learn to be ready for anything. Don't let me catch you unaware again." I coughed but it was more of a choking noise, "What was that?"

"Y-yes, Sir!" I stuttered over the words trying to drag air through to my lungs and back out again.

"Very good," Sensei Kreese looked down his nose at me and nodded in satisfaction. What sort of satisfaction he got out of that was beyond me. We weren't at the Dojo.

As soon as he was gone and I heard his footfalls downstairs I shot up and locked my door, even though I knew he could break it down if he wanted, there was a false sense of safety when the lock clicked into place.

I laid on the bed, part of me wanted to go see the damage in the bathroom mirror but another just didn't feel like moving. I glanced over at the phone near the nightstand. My fingers itched to dial Johnny's number but it was late and I didn't want to tell him what happened anyway.

I lay awake for hours afterward, my windpipe still sore from the brute force of my father's strength. What was with him? At this moment I wanted a father who I could talk to about my friends and who didn't think I was making good choices with Johnny and the fact that my friends thought they knew what was best for me. Everyone seemed to just want to control my life. And all I wanted was someone to talk to. To support me and be a person I could rely on.

As soon as I thought that, I scoffed. My father would never be someone like that. If he knew my thoughts he'd want to crush them immediately like my windpipe. No weakness. He would tell me to forget my friends because they would bring me down. He'd tell me that they were a weakness and me forgetting all about them would be best. But being alone and without friends seemed to be a weakness more than anything else. Being alone was tiresome and depressing. I needed my friends. No, I needed my mom. She had always been there for me. Tonight I felt her loss even more so in the lonely shadows of my bedroom. My eyes slid to the locked door, fearful of the man who could be lurking behind it.

Sleep did not come that night, for I would not let it even if I wanted it.