CHAPTER 24: DRIVE-INS AND DOJOS

THE DRIVE-IN WAS packed. Cars were parked in long rows on a grass lot, the people inside waiting to watch the next movie coming on the large screen. Johnny had to pull around the lot twice before finding a good spot.

I opened my door and got out. "You're supposed to let me do that, you know," Johnny said, not looking too happy.

"Oops, next time."

Johnny's mouth twitched up slightly as he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the concessions booth. "We'll take a large popcorn and two sodas." Johnny turned to me in question, "What type of soda?"

"Do they have Slice?"

Johnny nodded and turned to the guy stationed behind the stand, "A Slice soda and a Coke."

"For the Slice soda you want apple or orange?" The guy asked me flatly, clearly not a fan of his job nor too pleased to find himself having to say anything at all.

"Apple, please," I told him and he handed me the golden-green can.

Johnny ordered a couple boxes of candy too. I offered to pay since he had covered our bill over at Golf n' Stuff a few weeks before but he deliberately insisted he get the cost of our date.

It was a little weird calling it a date though. Johnny Lawrence was not someone I had expected to ever think of dating let alone care for in a such a way. But when I looked at him and a smile flashed across his face, his eyes crinkling ever so slightly around the edges, it made me forget why I had stopped dating in the first place. He made me forget the hard times I had gone through and helped me look forward to what was coming.

We sat in the red convertible again, our snacks and sodas in front of us as we settled down in the seats, waiting for the movie to start. It was a rerun of E.T., one of the best movies ever.

Johnny leaned over, "You won't be scared will you?" A mischievous expression was plastered on his face.

I laughed, "What? You want me jumping into your arms?"

Johnny smirked, "Only if you do."

"Well, I'll tell you a secret. You'll have to do a lot better picking the movie if you want me to be scared. I've seen The Evil Dead. If I can watch that, I can watch anything."

Johnny chuckled in surprise but then nodded thoughtfully, "We could take on the evil dead. They wouldn't stand a chance against any Cobra Kai."

I nodded, "That, I can agree with."

We ate a lot, from gummy bears to popcorn to even nachos that Johnny went back to the concessions booth for. I was munching on a few gummy bears when I felt Johnny's arm casually slide around my shoulders. The corners of my mouth turned up slightly at his attempt to be casual about it but it was anything but. He snatched one of the bears too and popped it in his mouth.

"Ah! Do you know how inhumane that is?" I hissed teasingly under my breath. "You're supposed to bite the head off first." I took another gummy bear and bit its head off before eating the rest of it. "See? It's a quicker end for the poor things."

He smirked at my silliness and leaned over to kiss me, his blue eyes darkening. He sure was never shy about being with me. "No mercy," Johnny countered.

With the movie all of a sudden forgotten, I parted my mouth slightly at the soft pressure of his lips on mine, letting myself sink into the kiss. My head was pressed into the crook of his elbow with one arm while the other started trailing a warm and pleasing touch on my knee. He brought himself closer, and took advantage of deepening the kiss when he boldly nipped at my lower lip and I gasped. I felt my face flush with heat from his forward tactics and his tongue slipping into my mouth.