CHAPTER 19: I MAKE ONE HELL OF AN OMELET

I WOKE TO hearing a rustling noise in my room. At first I thought it was my father, rummaging through my things but when I opened my eyes I was stunned to find Johnny instead. What the hell was he doing in my room! And naked for that manner! All he had was a towel wrapped around his waist as if he'd just come from a shower.

"What the hell?"

Johnny startled and ran his knee into the dresser, "Damn!"

"What the hell are you doing? Get out of my room!" I shouted.

Johnny looked at me dumbly, "Your room?"

I grabbed a pillow from beside me and hurled it at him. "Get out!"

"Just relax okay?"

How dare he! I hurled another pillow, "Don't tell me that! Now get out!"

Johnny deflected the pillow easily, "It's my room."

His room? I stopped and looked down around me. I bunched a tiny portion of the sheets I lay under. Not mine. I glanced up around the room, seeing the dark walls and giant windows. Definitely not mine. And then suddenly the events of the previous night caught up with me. I remembered going to the arcade with Linda and us running into Johnny and the girls, coming to his party...

I sat up, banging the back of my head against the headboard, "What happened?" Johnny continued ruffling through a drawer. A thought occurred to me, "Wait, we.... We didn't? Did we?"

Johnny glanced at me, his eyes danced but he answered truthfully. "No. I slept in one of the guest rooms." Relief washed over me in the form of a sigh. Johnny chuckled a little though, shaking his head, "You were going to strip and jump in the pool though."

"What!"

"Don't worry, I stopped you." He said as he pulled a pair of jeans out of the drawer he had been shuffling through. He halted for second, "Well, kind of. You ended up tossing us both in the pool."

I cursed and pulled up the blankets over my head. What had I been thinking? I never drank. Fear suddenly ran through me at the thought of me never going home. I could practically see the rage of my father already. Cursing, I threw the covers back, "I gotta go! My father's going to kill me!"

I got up and realized I was in someone else's clothes. I turned to Johnny, "My clothes? What happened to them?"

Johnny rolled his eyes like it was a burden to tell me, "I washed them. They're on the chair there."

He watched me as I lunged at the soft chair, grabbing my things. In the back of my mind I knew I should probably have thanked him but I was too busy trying to get home as soon as possible.

"You don't have to rush you know, your friend Linda called Sensei Kreese. She left a message that you were spending the night at her house."

"Good intentioned I'm sure, but I'll still get chewed out for it." I started to unfold my clothes. "Oh my God! Johnny! Did you dry these?"

Johnny looked at me in confusion, wondering what was wrong, "Yeah?"

"I can't wear this!" I turned to him holding up my sweater which had obviously shrunk big time. It looked like it was the size for a child.

Johnny started to laugh when he saw it, "Oops."

"It isn't funny! What am I going to wear!" I picked up my jeans, those had shrunk as well. The only thing that seemed unaffected was my bra and underwear. Of course.

"Chill okay? You can wear something of mine again."

I was so upset. I stomped my foot impatiently while he grabbed a few things for me. Again. That meant that the pants and shirt I was wearing were his too. I snuck at glance at Johnny. His back was turned to me as he opened a drawer. I shouldn't have looked but it was hard not to notice. He was totally toned from karate. His back was muscled and strong.

Johnny turned and caught me staring, "Pictures last longer you know." I huffed and rolled my eyes but definitely didn't miss the sight of him as he turned around. He came close and placed the clothes in my hands, "Wear this. It should work."

I took the clothes from him, but didn't move right away. Johnny was close. So close I could have reached out less than half an arm's length and touched him. He was so close that I could see he definitely had been in the shower not too long ago from the remaining beads of water on his skin. Something in me wanted to touch him but I held back and instead took the clothes and headed for the bathroom, locking the door behind me, and any impure thoughts along with it.

When I was done changing, I opened the bathroom to find Johnny's room was empty. I snatched my ruined clothes and wandered downstairs, hearing voices echoing. Turning a corner I found that the guys were still here too. They were all settled on the couch, watching some show while Bobby was in the kitchen making something that actually smelled really good.

I walked past them, Tommy greeted me with a wide toothy grin, "Wild night for ya doll?"

It was hard not to smile back, "I guess so."

"So you Johnny's girl now?" Dutch asked me with a raised eyebrow and a glance at the clothes I was wearing.

"What? Definitely not."

"Shut up, Dutch. Leave her be. She just needed something to wear," I heard Johnny's curt voice from across the room. He was sitting at the kitchen island, messing with a walkman.

I held up my shrunken clothes to the guys, "Side note to you all. Never let Johnny wash clothes for you."

"Hey, Johnny!" Dutch yelled across the room. "How come you never washed my clothes for me? I'm always gettin' em' dirty."

Johnny didn't look up from his tinkering, "If it's got puke on it, man, I ain't touching it."

I wandered further into the kitchen and shadowed Bobby. He was making pancakes. "Yum," I murmured. "Need a hand?"

Bobby looked at me surprised, like no one had ever asked him if he wanted help before. "Uh, yeah." He gestured to the pan he was using over the stove which had three perfectly round pancakes on it. "Can you finish those? I gotta get the eggs on."

Eggs too? Oh this was a lovely breakfast. I knew I should have been leaving the house to go home but if I was already gone what did it matter anyway? "You guys eat like this every morning?" I asked as I flipped one of the cakes over, letting it brown on the opposite side.

Johnny shrugged, still examining his walkman, "Normally."

I laughed, "The degenerates to chefs huh?"

"Technically I'm the only chef here," Bobby said, looking offended.

"Well, not anymore." I told him and flipped the pancakes onto a ready plate. "You've got me now too. And I make one hell of an omelet."

"You should come to the beach with us later! We're taking Johnny's boat out!" Boating too?

"Yeah! And invite Susan and Barbara with ya!"

I poured batter onto the pan again to make more pancakes. "I don't know..."

"Come on! Hang with us!" Jimmy pleaded.

"You too cool for us Karate Queen?" I heard Johnny's voice from behind and looked at him. He had on one of the smirks again and was looking at me expectantly. It was almost like a dare. 

Dare accepted. "Fine, but I'm stopping home first before I go anywhere with you lot."

Dutch came up by the counter, "You just can't wait to see us shirtless can you?" The look on his face was terrible and I knew I was going to start blushing if I didn't do something so I stuck my finger into the pancake batter and painted his forehead with it. Dutch was a bit shocked but ultimately shrugged it off, wiping his forehead with a paper towel.

I didn't mention that I had already seen one of them shirtless already. And it was a hard sight to forget.