CHAPTER 28: TRUST ME

I don't know how long we stood there together in silence. Maybe it was five minutes or ten or thirty. My mind wasn't counting. All that mattered was this moment. Finally when my body calmed itself and I was breathing easier, Johnny pulled back. Not much but enough where he could look at me fully again.

His gaze momentarily landed on my neck again but in another instant he had my scarf and was pulling it around back in place the best he could. "I'm sorry," he said again softly and tucked a loose strand of my hair behind my ear in an endearingly. When his gaze found mine once again he asked, "Can you tell me what happened?"

I wanted to, but I also didn't. Part of me wanted to tell him everything and how horrible I was feeling, but then another part of me screamed not to. I didn't want Johnny being aware of how helpless I'd been in those moments last night. I didn't want him to think of me as weak. I nearly laughed at that thought. Not very long ago today I'd wanted nothing to do with my father's motto about no weakness.

Johnny inched closer, "Please? I promise I won't judge you. For anything." I looked up into his blue eyes, finding concern clear on his face. He did care about me. And who was I thinking a relationship could work with keeping secrets. I should know better.

Even though reluctant, I ended up nodding in consent. I breathed deeply, preparing myself. Johnny waited patiently, not rushing me for an explanation. It felt as if it was no use since I knew I'd never be ready but I knew the right thing would be to tell him. "It was last night after work."

"You get jumped or somethin?" Johnny asked and I saw fear cross his face and his eyes glazed over as if not seeing for a moment, "No one... did anything to you did they?"

I briskly shook my head, "I wasn't jumped and no to that too." I hesitated before continuing, the words feeling stuck in my throat. "I was... home."

Johnny's breath caught almost imperceptibly, "Sensei Kreese?"

The bare incline of my chin confirmed his question.

"Shit." Shit was right. Johnny's jaw clenched and unclenched in time with one of his fists. "Are you hurt anywhere else? Has this happened before?"

"No," I whispered answering both questions at once. There was dread knotting in my stomach. Not yet anyway.

Johnny cursed again under his breath, looking out across the street towards the dojo. This late the sign for Cobra Kai was visible from the lights lining the streets. It's snake emblem stark black against the light stone of the building. "You aren't going back home are you?"

"I don't really have a choice."

"Yes, you do. You can stay with me, my mom won't mind. Sid 'll need convincing but he'll come 'round if my mom has anything to say about it."

"Johnny, I can't do that. Besides, even if I wanted to it'll only make things worse with my dad..." Johnny's offer was so tempting but I knew it would only cause things to get more complicated. "It was a one time thing."

Heat rose to Johnny's face, "And if it wasn't?"

"Please let me handle it," I begged him. "It won't happen again. I wasn't focused yesterday and with the tournament coming up he's just been on my case about it."

Johnny sighed, obviously torn on what to do. Finally he stepped closer to me, his hand reaching up to cup my cheek, "I don't want to see you hurt. I know how Kreese is. He's aberrant."

"You have to trust me."

"I do. It's Kreese I don't trust."

"I don't either, but I have to go back." He didn't looked convinced at all. "Please, Johnny. Let me handle it."