CHAPTER 20: SECRETS AT SEA

MY FATHER WAS surprisingly not home and I took advantage of it. I ran upstairs to my bedroom, changed out of Johnny's clothes and grabbed a new set to change into just in case along with a trendy red, black and teal bathing suit.

When I trotted back downstairs, Johnny was standing in the kitchen. "What are you doing in here?" I asked him mortified. I was so embarrassed of all the empty beer cans lying around. Surely Johnny wasn't a fool and saw how disgusting it was. I didn't want to ponder what he must think about me.

Johnny glanced at me, "Just having a look around. I've never seen inside Sensei's house before."

"Hey, are we all invited in?" I heard Tommy ask from the open doorway.

"No one was invited in!" I grabbed Johnny's arm and pulled him out of the house, "You've seen enough already."

"Alright, alright."

I got back in the car, this time hopping in the back with the girls who we had picked up on my way back home. We were heading out to the marina next, where Johnny's parent's boat was kept.

I should have known from Johnny's house, what to expect from the boat but I was still shocked to see it for real. Any time I thought of a boat, I would think of a small spindly thing in the water, or even a small speed boat. This was something else entirely. A yacht.

No one else seemed phased by it though and I had to remember that most of them lived in Encino as well. They didn't come from the same small town I did.

As the yacht started to take off, I walked to the railing on the front deck, looking out over the ocean as it passed by. There was only a few other times I'd been on a boat and it was when my mom was alive. My stepfather at the time had owned his own speed boat collection and was proud to show it off here and there. I remembered cruising so fast on the water that I thought the wind would simply pick us up and we'd fly away.

Of course that never happened but I was fearful of it at the time.

Someone on my right startled me when they cleared their throat. I looked over at Johnny who was leaning heavily on the railing, "What do you think?" He asked.

I huffed a breath, "I think that your family has too much money to know what to do with it. And it's nuts that you have a captain just for this yacht."

Johnny shrugged, "We'll technically it's all my stepfather's, but yes he does have a ton of money. A lot of which he gambles away. Although we manage."

"Oh," I mumbled. I wasn't too sure what to say. In the little amount of talking of Johnny's stepdad that night at Golf n' Stuff, made the impression he didn't like him all too well and I could see now he definitely didn't care for the man. I knew a little of how that was. At least my father cared how I did in Karate though, even if it was one of the only things he cared much about.

Deciding I was gonna be honest I took a small inhale before speaking, "I'm a bit embarrassed you saw my house like that earlier."

Johnny gazed at me and I knew he was aware of what I was talking about. He shrugged one shoulder, "It's not bad. Sid, likes to drink a lot. It'd be a different story if he was hurting you though." Johnny paused, "He isn't right?"

I shook my head, but didn't mention that the thought had crossed my mind multiple times in the past. But my father had never acted in any way to hurt me, he was just intimidating.

Johnny pushed me away from the rail, and towards the inside of the boat, "Let's get a soda pop. It's gonna be a fun day!"

And it was. The captain anchored us just near a cove that also allowed access to a small beach area.