Part I - Chapter 1

Part I

Red String Of Fate

New Orleans

2016

Streaks of the pale crescent moon illuminated the balcony of the Italianate mansion. On it, sat the oldest and only daughter of The Family's underboss. The detailed iron wrought balcony almost acted as a frame capturing Nina's allure as she leaned against it. A smile played on her lips as a million chirping crickets greeted her ears and the humid air caressed her olive skin. Everything felt serene and made her fall into a state of daydreaming.

One that she got quickly ripped out of as she felt someone's hand on her arm. She quickly spun around and was met with the smiling figure that was her brother.

"I knew I'd find you here."

She shook her head at him and released a gentle laugh. ''You have to stop sneaking up on me like that, Giorgio.''

''I'm not doing it on purpose – cross my heart.'' He grinned. ''Just so you know, Mom is looking for you.''

''I know she is.''

After a light chuckle, Giorgio's cheerfulness slowly disappeared behind a sombre expression. He had come on their mother's behalf, believing it would soften the blow if he delivered the card in his hand rather than her.

"Here" – he handed her a decorated card – "it's your uh- or I guess I don't have to explain."

Melancholy writ on Nina's face as she looked at the wedding card. It looked beautiful. The laser-cut lace pattern was moved to the side, making it possible to read the bride and groom's name in black ink. She let her fingers softly touch the cotton fiber, wanting to burn it to a cinder.

In the past, Nina always expected she would be married off to someone from her hometown. In that scenario, she would still be close by to the few people she cared about. But after being told she was to marry the future Don of The Chicago Outfit, that idea got quickly shoved out of her head.

"What do you think? I picked it out." She asked him about the design of the card. It was one of the few things she had a say in.

"I hate it."

A burst of laughter came out of Nina and when she quieted down, she agreed with him.

Giorgio continued saying, "The Family can do without their help."

"Giorgio," she said with a sigh. "You know nothing."

"Yes, I do," he mumbled as his brown eyebrows knitted together.

"The Family can't keep fighting a war on three fronts." Nina held his arm, giving it a squeeze. "It's you who is going to be on the front line and if marrying Luciano brings three down to two then I'll gladly do it."

"I can try to talk Dad out of it."

"As if I haven't tried that already. And what makes you think he will change his mind now?"

"Maybe he'll listen to me."

Bitterness crept into her being like poison. "We both know he won't. He's incapable of doing that kind of thing," she said knowing how prideful her father was. Noticing how her breaths had become shorter she told her brother he could find her in the garden.