Chapter 6

2018

Nina broke out in cold sweat as time ticked by. Today was the fated day that marked her to become part of the Gallucci family. It was almost time for her to stand at the altar.

She let her eyes wander down as she looked at the reflection of herself. Her snow-white wedding dress accentuating how pure she was. Her dark-brown hair in a low updo with the veil falling down from it and her ring matching with the bouquet she held. Nina placed her hand on her chest and tried to control her breathing.

It's fine. I'll be fine. I can do this.

Nina kept her feelings bottled up. She felt like collapsing and screaming from the top of her lungs but didn't. She couldn't. The young bride would do as she was expected to. She had a certain image of herself to keep up and it drained her energy.

"You look perfect, Nina." Her mother's eyes glistened with pride as she held onto her arm.

She forced the corners of her lips to tip up. "Thank you, Mamma."

"You're handling this so much better than I did on my wedding day." Evelyn let out a short laugh. "But you've always been so composed, mature and all. You're doing great. I'll go and get your father."

Nina was split in two listening to her mother. On one hand, she was glad there weren't any cracks to be seen in her mask. Her emotions weren't on her sleeves. On the other hand, no one knew what she was like on the inside. She never had a shoulder to cry on.

"Nina, look at me," her aunt Noemi said with a concerned look. "I get it. I understand."

Those simple words made tears well up in the bride's eyes. Noemi cupped her niece's face to stop her from crying.

Noemi continued, "I understand but I know you are strong. You have to believe in yourself and come out on top, Sweetheart."

Her aunt's words of encouragement meant more to Nina than she could've hoped for. Even if it was just a little bit, she felt the weight on her shoulders had become a tad lighter.

"You always know the right thing to say." Nina pulled her aunt in an embrace. This was the last bit of comfort Nina would get in a while.

"Noemi!"

Nina and her aunt turned to see who invited themselves in the room. It was her uncle by marriage, Rino Esposito, who came to get his wife. His arrival was unwelcome in Nina's mind. The old man would always look at her for much longer than was appropriate.

"What are you still doing here? I'm over there waiting, and here you are making me wait. We have to get to our seats. Now!" Rino snapped at his wife.

"I'm-"

Nina stopped her aunt from speaking further by squeezing her hand. "You need to go. I'll be fine. Papà will be here soon anyway."

Where her caring aunt once stood was now her father. He rubbed his hands together and had an eager look on his face. He waved her to come over, sparing no words. It was time for the ceremony to start.

Nina linked arms with Carlos and the two made their way toward the aisle. The moment the bride and her father entered, everyone stood up. The cathedral was packed with men, women and children from both families. New Orleans on the left side and Chicago on the right. On both sides, this union was the talk among people for a long time. Today, it was finally going to be realised.

Nina gulped as she felt all eyes on her. Curious, jealous and cold stares were fixed on the Sciacca bride. Therewas no avoiding the evil eye. Her pulse raced, yet, she still managed to walk gracefully down the aisle. Before she knew it, her father left her side and gave the flower bouquet to the maid of honour.