Chapter 13

The many families listened to their new Don speak as soon as he had addressed them. A sense of respect hung around. All hoped for Luciano's spoken promises to become true one day.

"This one's for you." Teodoro extended his arm so Nina would take the glass of champagne.

"No, thank you. I'm good."

"You can throw it away for all I care but you might want to raise a glass when he wraps his speech up."

Nina sighed softly, took the glass and re-directed her focus on her husband.

"We will take what they took from us. The Irish will lose this war and, as always, The Outfit will be victorious." Luciano held a crystal glass up in the air. "To family!"

"To family!" The Outfit repeated after their Don and copied his action, the clinking of glass was heard throughout the space.

Shortly after, Luciano returned to his wife's side, the champagne no longer in his hand. Together they looked perfect; both carrying themselves with confidence. It mattered not what city they were in, the evil eye would always be there to follow.

Teodoro opened his arms to give his brother a hug. "You did an amazing job just then. Then again what else to expect from a family man."

Luciano held up his hand, signalling that the affection wasn't welcome. "Don't try and distract me. What are you doing here? I told you to-"

"Work can rest for one night. Tonight is meant for celebration only. If I were you I'd thank me for keeping her good company." Teodoro looked expectantly at Nina for her to agree with him.

"And it's very much appreciated but if you have work to do, I won't hold you back," she said to him.

"Now that things are changing, I need you to grow up and be more serious, Teodoro." Luciano's tone rang cold and serious. "And as I have heard it, you've given Nina more than enough company in the past week."

"Oh? And who told you that?" His eyebrows shot up. "Bartolomeo or... was it you, Nina?"

"Stop feigning ignorance. You know the guards tell me everything," Luciano said, making his brother face him again.

"Don't tell me the same doesn't count for you wife." Teodoro searched for a hint of irritation on either Luciano's or Nina's face but ended up with nothing. "Are you sure you two are married? Or are you just not on speaking terms?"

If it was anyone else who had the audacity to ask such a question, Nina would have been taken aback but with Teodoro taken into the equation, she wasn't. At the same time, she didn't think he would actually say something like that out loud.

"You think you're so funny." Luciano laughed mirthlessly. "You are lucky you're my brother."

"That's debatable." Teodoro smirked, turned around and headed to his cousin.

Now that her husband's mood had taken a turn for the worse, Nina wished nobody else had taken notice of it. She could feel his eyes piercing through her skull as she drank the last bit of her sparkling champagne and put it on the tray of a passing waiter.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I did tell you your brother came to visit."

"Yes, one time. The others were left unaccounted for."

"Didn't you just say the guards already told you?"

"Yes, but you are the one that's supposed to tell me. I'm fairly certain I let you know what I expect of you."