Chapter 5

The previous night, Nina kept fiddling with the gold adorning her ring finger. Her thoughts about Luciano keeping her awake. She needed answers to her questions.

Nina woke up with a drawn-out yawn. If possible she'd stay in bed a little longer but problems weren't going to fix themselves. She got up and took a shower in the bathroom attached to the bedroom. She styled her hair in a neat high ponytail and had casual formal wear on her body. Always making sure to look well-groomed even if she was only around family.

Nina made a bee-line for her father's workroom. Instead of making her presence known, she listened carefully if her father had any guests like yesterday. There wasn't any conversation to be heard. She threw her shoulders back and lifted her head before tapping against the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's me."

Carlos recognized his daughter's voice and said, "You can enter."

Nina walked inside and stood by the door. She hoped for this to be a quick visit. Her brother already informed her about their father's temper. Putting as much space as possible between herself and her father was the best thing she could do.

"What do you want?" his tone was clipped. Carlos' eyes were glued to the paper files on his desk. Not sparing a single look at Nina.

"You and Uncle Galasso never told me why the wedding is going to be at a later date."

A gloom fell over his facial expression. The word 'wedding' had apparently become a taboo word. A harsh breath came out of his mouth as he intertwined his fingers. He tried to keep an outburst at bay.

"There is no need for you to know. The only thing that matters is that in a year and three months, you'll be married and Chicago and New Orleans can finally move on and start working together." Carlos lifted his gaze and shook his head in disappointment when he realised what his daughter planned on doing. "If I'm not answering you, you sure as hell can forget your uncle will. Not that it matters since he is out of town."

Nina mentally laughed at herself. What did I think to come here? Did I really think Papà would tell me?

"I thought you had grown up, but you're still naive. Don't be like that in Chicago. They won't like women who meddle too much in business." It was Carlos' way of looking out for his daughter.

Her father's comment on her personality was inaccurate. Nina was more hopeful than anything else. She knew what the men around her were like, but she still had a sliver of hope in her that there were exceptions.

A feeling of resignation filled her as she walked out of the room. The boss and underboss of the family weren't going to tell her anything. The next best person Nina could go to was the consigliere. A man who had a critical role when it came to making important decisions concerning the well-being of the family. Nina halted when she realised she had no way of contacting her uncle's advisor.

"What are you doing?" Giorgio tilted his head.

"Nothing really. What about you?"

"I'm going out. Arturo called me in," he said making Nina hum with mild interest.

The two siblings walked beside each other toward the stairs. An idea popped in Nina's head, making her stop in her tracks for the second time.

"On second thought, can I come with you? I need to speak to Arturo," she asked sweetly.

Arturo Sciacca was an older cousin of her. He was also the oldest son of her uncle Galasso. It wouldn't be a stretch for Nina to think her cousin might hold answers. There was a high chance her uncle let some information regarding her marriage slip around his son.