Chapter 7

During most of the reception, Nina simply chose to be an observer at her own wedding. Watch from a distance how everything unfolded. All of the guests were well-behaved, except for one. A table or two away from the bride and groom, a young man caused a ruckus – a cousin of Luciano. He had one too many drinks and made a fool out of himself.

From the corner of her eyes, Nina saw the Chicago boss walk up to the young man. In her mind, he couldn't possibly think to lecture him in a place like that. Unsure of the Chicago boss' plans for the young man, Nina began reaching out to Luciano. She glanced at him but only see Luciano already watching the scene play out. Contentment shrouding his features.

What is Luciano's grandfather going to do? Please, don't let there be a fight.

The Chicago boss grabbed Luciano's cousin by his ear and pulled him to his feet. If it was anyone else doing it, it would be a clear sign of disrespect, but Luciano's cousin couldn't lift a finger to his boss. The young man was dragged out of the ballroom after the Don berated his grandson. Snickers rolled out from different corners of the grand room.

Nina immediately took note of the differences between the two families. In New Orleans, the defiant men got disciplined in private. There were several instances where this happened between Carlos and Giorgio Sciacca. In Chicago, however, another set of rules seemed to apply. Public humiliation was used as an effective tool for anyone who was out of line.

When it was time for the bride and groom to share their first dance, Nina swiftly closed her eyes. In addition to Luciano, she would also have to share a dance with her in-laws. All of them complete strangers to her.

Nina clasped hands with Luciano and the two proceeded to the dance floor. A slight hitch in Nina's breath as Luciano placed a possessive grip on her waist. She guessed it was to show everyone whose she was.

Throughout the remaining of their dance, Nina tried ignoring his burning gaze on her. She wanted him to look elsewhere. The scrutinizing looks from the people on the sides paled in comparison to Luciano's. Going by his words in the limousine, Nina believed he wanted to see behind the front she put up.

"You can't act as if I'm not here the whole time."

Nina turned slightly, their lips almost touching. "I'm not."

"If you say so." He sounded unconvinced.

"I'm trying to memorize all the new faces."

"You'll have more than enough time for that once we're back."

After the bride and groom were done, it was Carlos' turn to dance with his daughter. He reminded Nina of the duties she had to fulfil later on that night. The folks from the New Orleans family had a certain tradition that would take place on the wedding night. The husband had to take the virginity of his wife and present the tainted white sheets to the family as proof of consummating their marriage. Colour drained from Nina's face as she listened to her father.

On the other side of the dancefloor were Luciano and his new mother-in-law sharing a silent dance. Friendly yet distant.

Nina's dance with her father only lasted a few minutes. In the eyes of the spectators, it was short and sweet. She was glad for it to be over.

"Can I have a dance with a bride as beautiful as yourself?" Nina heard a gruff voice say.

Alarms went off inside Nina at the sight of the Chicago Don. Since Luciano's father was no longer in the world of the living, his grandfather, Nicolò Gallucci, acted the role. Nina wouldn't let his charming smile lower her guard around him.

"I'd love to." She supplied with a sweet smile.

The elderly man handed his cane over to someone else when Nina accepted his request.