Chapter 31

"This is madness, Boss." Bartolomeo floored the gas pedal.

Nina gripped the gun in her hand as if it was a lifeline. As they raced toward the church Luciano said he'd be at, her hands became clammy but her fixation on reaching her husband grew. She couldn't stay put, couldn't wait until his bleeding body returned to her. Behind her impassive facial feature, hid great trepidation.

"I'm well aware."

Her bodyguard let out a breathless laugh.

"If this won't kill me then I'm sure Luciano will end my life for bringing you in grave danger."

"It was on my orders," Nina said.

"Not to be disrespectful but I don't think that will make a difference."

"My husband is a just man."

"True but do you think he'll be just when it comes to his wife. I've been an observer for most of my life and from what I've seen, Luciano has grown...how to say it? He has grown accustomed to your presence."

If it wasn't for the situation they were in, Nina would have chuckled at his wording. Then she spotted Nero jogging away from his car and Orfeo who walked with the legs of a newborn foal.

"Pull over! It's them."

Nina immediately felt Nero's vigilant eyes on her and Bartolomeo. His speed to faltered immediately. She steeled herself when she saw Nero shaking his head as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He would no doubt try to stop her.

"What are you doing here?" exasperation filling Nero's voice.

"Getting Luciano out of that damned place." Nina nodded her head at the church.

"I don't have the fucking patience for this," he whisper-yelled at her. "What's wrong with you?" Nero narrowed his eyes at Bartolomeo.

"Calm down. We have time. Shots haven't been fired yet," Orfeo said to Nero.

"That's the problem you fuckin' idiot!" Nero said to his uncle Orfeo. "You" – he pointed at Nina – "back in the car. Bartolomeo come with me."

"I don't take orders from you," Bartolomeo said.

Nero laughed bitterly and said, "Forgive me, Nina, but bullet in the leg is better than one in your lungs or stomach."

The second Nina saw Nero point his gun at her leg, she pointed hers at Orfeo's head.

"It's tit for tat." Nina let out a harsh breath. "This is ridiculous! I'm a better shot than him." She redirected their focus on Orfeo's poor attempt to hide his excessive trembling.

Nero's jaw became a hard set. "You're pointing a gun at a Made Man. You may be my cousin's wi-"

"I don't remember ever taking an oath that bound me by the same rules as you. The only oath I've taken is the one that involves my husband," Nina's tone was steely.

A dangerous smile grew on Nero as he lowered his gun and looked at his watch. "If not before then he definitely should be out by now. We're going in." He began stepping away. "Don't just stand there, Orfeo. Grow some balls for God's sake because Nina has more than you." Nero ran toward the awfully quiet church and Orfeo copied his actions.

Thank you? Nina thought to herself.

"What do you want to do, Boss?"

"Let's look for another entrance," Nina said.

Alarm bells went off at the sight of an already opened back door. Bartolomeo signed for them to be even more stealthy before peeking inside whilst slowly pushing the door open. Nina slipped inside, keeping careful watch of any dangers. Her eardrums felt like they could tear at the sound of her heartbeat, so loud and so fast. The further they moved into the dark corridor, the clearer they heard a menacing yet boisterous male voice of an older man.