Chapter 5: Duke Lengrid

' This is ridiculous... ' Charlotte exclaimed in her heart. Their treating her as a test subject! Though it was fine at first... It's getting quite bothersome.

An Imperial family member would receive a daily checkup by the Imperial physician once a day. But she was an exception. She's receiving 3 checkups a day.

It was hard for her to do anything now. If she does such a little thing like scratching herself, they would all panic and act as if she was dying.

What was she supposed to do if her skin was slightly itchy?

"Your highness don't move! It will leave a mark if you keep scratching the bite!" One of her handmaid's soaked a handkerchief with cold water and pressed it on the mosquito bite, which was on Charlotte's arm.

"....." Charlotte knows these handmaids have good intentions. But it's a little too much. Scratching her skin won't kill her...

Her handmaids panicked, looking at the mosquito bite on Charlotte's arm. Their panicked state is akin to if one was treating a plague victim.

They have been warned by his and her majesty to never leave Charlotte alone. Eve when she sleeps.

They were all afraid Charlotte, as a young child, would succumb to her curiosities and harm herself, without even knowing the damage she would cause herself.

How could they know that Charlotte, in reality, possessed the mindset and intelligence of a 20 year old woman?

************
"Ah, Caden! It's so good to see you!" Sasha happily smiled at her old friend, duke Caden Lengrid.

"It's been quite some time. I've longed to see you again your majesty." Duke Lengrid bowed respectfully. His charming eyes hid a hint of sadness as he looked at her.

"No need to be so courteous! Just call me like you used to. How are you Caden?" Sasha laughed. Her smile was as bright and welcoming as ever.

"Better than before. How.... How is his majesty?" Duke Lengrid asked with hesitance. If you look closely into his expression, one could see he was clearly displeased or upset.

"Lucas is doing good. Ah! We should spend time together when he has spare time! It's been a while since everyone got together!" Sasha giggled.

Duke Lengrid, seeing her lovely smile, smiled as well.

"Mom? Who is this?" They saw a little figure approach them. It was the first princess.

"Lottie," Sasha knelt down. "this is my good friend, duke Lengrid. He and I were the closest of friends back when I was younger."

"Oh. Is that so?" Charlotte smiled. Of course she knew who this duke Lengrid is.

' Oh Caden... It's been a while. How are you dealing with the heartbreak? ' Charlotte thought to herself while smiling.

She never disliked him. But it all changed when he first met Sasha.

Caden Lengrid. In the past, there were some rumors about Caden and Sasha. It wasn't hidden that Caden fell in love with Sasha. But unfortunately his love for her could not last forever. As Sasha fell in love with Lucas.

There was a period where Sasha was denying Lucas's love. At that time Caden thought he still had a chance. But in the end it was all in vain.

He's unmarried. But he does have a son. No one knows of the mother's identity. It was said she died after giving birth due to illness.

They say Caden fell into a deep despair on the day of Sasha and Lucas's grand wedding. He drowned himself in alcohol and ended up getting involved with a woman....