Chapter 14: Perfect Wife

"..." The man blinked a few times to check his vision but the scene before him never changed. Their little princess was still smiling sweetly while talking to the children, no sign of that chilling glare anywhere. The man sighed. It seems he's been working too much and is beginning to imagine things...

He turned back around to continue chatting with his fellow commoners, unaware of the murderous look in a certain girl's gaze as she stared at him through the corners of her eyes.

Anyone who tarnished her previous name publicly will not meet a happy end. She will remember them. Their appearances shall be engraved in her heart for as long as they live. Charlotte swore that she will act out her revenge on all who betrayed and wronged her.

After falling into a daze, she turned her attention back to the giggling children circling her. They all had happy and cheery smiles on their faces, like they were unaware of the cruelty hidden behind the covers.

Suddenly, an amusing but saddening thought came to mind. Like the saying goes, 'happiness is something you can experience, but never firmly grasp in your hands and keep forever.' There's a good and bad side to everything. For commoner born children, they struggle to get a good meal or even good clothes. But at least they don't need to deal with the pressures that come with a noble title. They get to have fun and run around with their friends, no worry of how people will view them.

For children born into nobility, they get to enjoy the luxuries it brings them. They never need to worry about whether they can put food on the table. However they will forever be trapped in the same cycle of stepping on others to get ahead. But that's just how it goes. They will forever have to stay cautious of the people around them and how those people will perceive them. In the world ruled by the aristocrats, the eyes of judgement lurk everywhere.

This 'generous service' lasted for an hour before Charlotte had to leave. During her departure, the people bowed as they loudly thanked and proclaimed her kindness. Though the little princess wore a gentle smile on her face the whole time, in truth she felt disgusted. The love she had for those people have long been discarded.

***********

A young boy calmly sat behind a desk as he buried his head in books. He seemed immersed in his own little world until the faint whispers of the two maids in the room interrupted him.

"Did you hear? This afternoon, her highness the first princess visited an orphanage and gave out food for them!"

"Really? Oh, her highness is so kind!"

' Giving out food to orphans? I really did misjudge her... I'll have to give her a deserving compensation for my rudeness.' Felix thought after overhearing his two personal maid's whisperings. He's been feeling quite guilty lately. After all, he had accused a poor innocent young girl. Just as he was pondering what to compensate the princess with, the image of her warm smile flashed in his mind.

When he thought of her being treated so badly by the Empress, his heart couldn't help but tighten. Her majesty must be such a despicable woman to have the heart to hurt such a cute girl...

************

The next day, as Charlotte was preparing herself for a new morning, a few of her handmaids brought quite the news to discuss.

"A few commoners' have been found dead in their homes! They all had strange causes of death. No one knows what exactly happened to them..." Anna told another one of Charlotte's personal maids, Sarah. They were whispering but not quiet enough.

"Oh no! Could a murderer be on the loose? Have the guards caught the perpetrator?" Sarah gasped, her face painted with horror.

"Apparently not..." Anna sighed.