Chapter 7: Unexpected News

Lucas walked away in a good mood. Sasha turned her head slightly and noticed a small petite figure hiding behind a pillar.

"Ah! Lottie! You scared me..." Sasha flinched and let out a sigh.

"Sorry mom." Charlotte curved the corners of her lips upward.

"Be careful next time!" Sasha made a "hmph" sound.

"Mom..." Charlotte's smile faded and she appeared cold. "Why didn't you tell dad I helped you?"

"Oh don't be upset dear... In the end isn't it all to help mom? Don't be so stingy... Aren't you happy to help your mother?" Sasha cutely pouted at her daughter. If it weren't for the massive height difference and facial features, one could mistake who was the elder here...

"Oh." Charlotte smiled once again. But it looked off.

"You'll continue to help mom, alright? It'll make your father extremely happy!" Sasha asked with anticipation lurking in her eyes.

"Yes mother." Charlotte suddenly had an idea.

***************

Charlotte continued to secretly help Sasha with her duties. Charlotte assisted her mother so much to the point that Sasha was dependent on Charlotte when it comes to her royal duties.

Everyone was calling Sasha the ideal Empress. She was kind, approachable, and wise. She was what the people and aristocrats imagined the mother of the empire to act like. They all drowned Sasha with praises, while Charlotte remained unknown. Just like how some would praise the performers for the fascinating play, instead of the playwright.

Charlotte followed her mother inside the Empress's study and looked through the paperwork while Sasha sat aside, merely watching. Charlotte advised her mother on what to write once again and after finishing everything, Sasha reviewed them all.

"Hm... Do you really think this is all correct dear?" Sasha hesitated.

"Yes mother. Why? Is something wrong?" Charlotte continued to smile sweetly, behaving like an obedient daughter.

Sasha didn't want to seem too incompetent in front of her own daughter and shook her head. "No dear."

As soon as she left the study, Charlotte broke into a muffled laughter.

What she told Sasha was all wrong. All the answers were nonsense! She almost couldn't believe that Sasha actually didn't notice!

After helping Sasha for the past few days, Sasha became confident in her daughter's skills and didn't question her. Charlotte took advantage of this. She couldn't wait to hear what Lucas and the aristocrats would think of their "competent" and "ideal"empress now!

*************
The next day, as expected, Sasha was completely humiliated by the court that once praised her.

Insults such as "shameful" and "mindless" circulated. Sasha was embarrassed and hid inside her imperial chambers.

"How incompetent..."

"The empress actually ordered such things..."

"Dismissing all the female palace servants...? Is her majesty out of her mind?!"

"Is the Empress ill...?"

Lucas was distressed seeing Sasha's delicate face covered with tears. He immediately repressed the rumors and ordered for the nobles to stay silent.

Charlotte sat beside her mother's bedside and appeared saddened or worried. But she was laughing and rejoicing in her heart.

Earlier, Sasha was so shocked, she fainted. Lucas rushed to bring her back to the Empress's chambers.