Chapter 18: Someone Wearing a Smiling Mask

After returning with Medea, Charlotte met up with her little “friends'' with a book in her hand. The three boys expected the book in her hands to be some sort of fairytale storybook, definitely not a ghost storybook... With the picnic blanket under them, Charlotte found a comfortable spot and sat beside them with a joyous smile, just like how a little girl excited to share something she loved to her friends would behave.

“Why a ghost story?” Zenneth frowned. He never expected for this delicate looking princess to be interested in these types of things! This little princess really is unusual and scary! He wished he could see all those servants eat back their words after claiming this girl was an angel!

"Why not? I don't want to make you all bored! And what is more thrilling than a good ghost story?" Charlotte grinned in a slightly mischievous manner. Today is a good chance to deepen each other's bonds, Charlotte expects that it won't be too long until they all develop strong friendships together. And what comes after strong friendships? Thinking about it, Charlotte felt the corners of her lips raise even more. She can't do too much as a child but these things will come in very useful once the most critical stage of her plan takes action.

Charlotte opened the book and they all sat beside her in a circle. Then she began to read the words written in the book. She intentionally made her voice lower to create a certain eerie atmosphere, but how low can a little girl's voice get? Instead of scary, she sounded rather adorable. The four sat in the garden, on a picnic blanket below a tall big tree that covered their little heads from the bright sunlight as they listened carefully to the story.

"She walked carefully. Her steps were light but the wooden floors didn't stop creaking. As she passed the hall of doors for what felt like forever, she stopped. Her heart was beating nonstop and she felt as if her whole life was in danger. The wooden floors' creaking didn't stop even when her legs were stuck frozen in place. She slowly turned to look behind her and…" 

"Noooooo!!" Zenneth's scream rang through the ears of many.

"Shh! Her highness hasn't even finished the sentence! What are you screaming for?" Dylan scolded.

"I don't wanna listen anymore! The book is bad! Put the book away!" The stubborn prince screamed and tried to forcefully close the book in Charlotte's hands.

"Don't be so rude to her highness! How dare you!" Dylan tried to stop him but he wasn't as strong.

"You're scared already? It's just a fictional story." Felix sighed.

"You calling me a coward? Hey, I'm not scared. I just don't want you all to get scared!" Zenneth defended himself. He was expecting some sort of response but Felix simply looked at him as if he were a dog barking some nonsense no one could understand.

"Do you three want me to continue or not?" Charlotte asked patiently.

"Yes, your highness. Don't mind his rudeness. He must've been too spoiled before, just ignore him." Dylan answered. 

"Alright then." Charlotte smiled and continued the story. She was quite amused. Dylan, who appeared docile and shy, was actually able to bite back…

"Behind her was an extremely tall and thin man. His face appeared human but his mouth was very large. His eyes were hollow but it felt like he was staring right through her…" Charlotte continued to tell the story while the three listened. Before they knew it, an hour had passed and the three parted as the event held by the Empress was over. 

Once those three boys were out of sight, Charlotte closed the book silently and turned to Medea. 

"Hm… Why can't your highness look at me with those eyes too? I want to experience our dear princess's sweet gaze too!" Medea laughed teasingly.