Chapter 16: A Sharp-eyed Maid

"..." Two of the three boys couldn't help but feel slightly dumbfounded. Is the princess serious? Did the princess really plan to study during this time? Only a certain stubborn prince felt his doom was coming. Cold sweat dripped down his forehead as he lowered his head, hoping to just erase his existence completely. This girl can't be serious!

Charlotte, books in her arms, walked carefully towards them with a devilish but playful smile and said, "I figured, instead of studying, let's all study together! Don't worry, it'll be fun! What do you think, prince Zenneth...?"

"What!? N-no way in hell am I studying!" His back shivered with fright as Zenneth fled to the farthest corner of the spacious room. But he isn't going to be let off that easily. With just one look, Medea and Sarah forcefully dragged Zenneth before Charlotte.

"Oh don't be scared, your highness... You must learn to be a proper prince whether you like it or not. Trust me, all my teachers say I'm a very bright child. You're in good hands." She grinned.

'Hm, how strange.' The servants that stood outside wondered. What's going on inside? Why was there the scream of a little boy?

Dylan couldn't believe what he's witnessing. There the proud foreign prince kneeled as he was 'persuaded' to read a book while the usually fair and sweet princess stood intimidatingly behind him with her two maids. One of them held a bowl of tuna fish?

"Stop shaking, prince. If you keep behaving like this, you won't be able to focus. If you don't succeed in answering at least three questions once I question you, you must eat." Charlotte threatened 'kindly'.

"You devil girl! This isn't helping!" Zenneth whined, on the brink of tears. How is this helping him!? This girl is clearly just torturing him!

"A prince must learn discipline one way or another." The smiling princess informed. Her tone carried a gentle and soothing charm, but it only instilled fear into the stubborn prince's heart. He never knew such a pretty and cute looking princess could be such a monster!

Dylan stared at the two and felt funny. He picked up one of the books laid on the floor and said with a cheery voice, "Your highness is very kind. It's an honor to get the chance to learn with you, your highness."

Faced with a polite and pleasant voice, Charlotte returned him a smile and said, "Thank you, Dylan. I'm very happy to study with you as well."

"Oh ..." The young boy was flustered by the beautiful princess's words and hid his face behind the book in his hand.

After those torturous hours, the pitiful prince fled to his residence as fast as he could. Dylan bid farewell to Charlotte after the usual respectful courtesies, while Felix chose to stay behind to question Charlotte about a certain thing in mind. Before she left to return to her Blooming Hour Palace, he stopped her and asked her,

"Your highness, why did you choose to teach that prince in such a harsh manner? It didn't seem very nice..."

Charlotte had already expected for him to ask this question and her answer was well prepared. She changed her expression, revealing an understanding and helpless face as she spoke gently, "I feel bad for prince Zenneth. Not only has his own father tossed him out of his own empire, he's being treated poorly by the servants. Though he acts strong, no one can endure such treatment without the slightest bit of pain. He wasn't even given the chance to learn! Thus I decided to help him. I figured if he is taught the proper way of a prince, he'll be able to defend himself. But it will be hard to do so with his stubborn and prideful temperament, therefore I needed to be a little strict for him to listen."

Met with such touching and understandable reason, Felix couldn't find a flaw in her words. The moving words she said, matched with her gentle and virtuous look, he really couldn't blame her. After all, she's just trying to help...