Chapter 10: Hatefully Perfect

Lucas looked at the pile of paperwork before him and rubbed his forehead. Sasha has been extremely paranoid during the last few days. She was convinced she was being haunted. Lucas knew he needed to calm her down as soon as possible. Her fluctuating and unsteady emotions are definitely not good for the baby...

He sent many people to investigate the matter about the note and its writer. But they couldn't find anything. They didn't even have a clue to go off from.

Lucas had already confirmed in his mind that it was some cruel prank. But Sasha wasn't convinced.

Should he get a scapegoat? But if the notes started turning up again...

He sighed once again and silently cursed, ' Eleonora again... Even in death she never fails to annoy me. It really is hard to completely get rid of her...! '

From back when they were children and still to this day, she is always there, causing discomfort in his heart. She was perfect. Too perfect. She did everything right and when he did something wrong, he would always be compared to the "perfect crown princess". There were even rumors swirling about how she'll be the one running the empire and he'll just be a puppet emperor.

He couldn't stand those days.

Whenever he made a mistake in public, she would cover up for him. Everyone would praise her for her intelligence and secretly mock him for his incompetence.

He knew she was pretending to be tolerant of him. She would always say, "It's alright. Everyone makes mistakes. As your highness's fiance, of course I must help your highness when encountering tribulations." But he knew she was lying. Her fists were clenched so tightly, it was clear she was unhappy with him.

He hated witnessing her virtues facade. Would everyone still praise her if they find out her magnanimous and lenient personality was all a lie? He firmly believed he was right and tried his best to unmask her. But she was simply too skilled in acting.

It was only when she died did he finally feel assured and calm. If she's still alive...

No. He shook his head and threw the nonsensical thought out of his mind. He saw her die. He watched closely as the axe cut through her fair neck and the shocking amount of blood poured out whilst her head rolled off the chopping block. She was dead. She is dead. There's no doubt about it.

*********

A small slender white hand held a pen as it danced on the paper and scribbled multiple words. Charlotte quietly sat behind her desk as she doodled "lovely images" on the romance novel based off of her parents. A sinister smirk could be seen on her face as she stared intently at the open book.

Suddenly, a creak came from the door. The little princess flinched and quickly closed the book with her heart pounding.

"Princess~ Her majesty is asking for you to come over to her imperial chambers, your highness. Shila has been ordered to call you!" Her new maid, Shila, opened the door and walked to her side, wearing a sweet grin.

"O-oh... Is that so? Then I shall go see mother immediately!" The petite young girl jumped off the seat and cutely walked to the door. "Shila? Are you not coming?" Charlotte looked at her and asked.

"The head maid ordered Shila to clean your highness's room since the others are currently occupied with other matters. Is there a problem, princess?" Shila tilted her head and answered charmingly.

"... No, that's fine. Just don't go through my things." Charlotte maintained an innocent smile and reluctantly left.

The door closed and Shila went to work. She put away some of the jeweleries on the vanity table and cleaned up the bed. There were a few books on the desk so she carefully put them into the bookshelf. Then her gaze landed on a certain romance novel. Her highness was quick to close the book. Her face even showed emotions of shock and slight panic. Oh, was the little princess hiding a secret?