Chapter 4

Jasper went jogging off into the trees once Emmett placed his mate back onto his feet and released him. Kaneki raised an eyebrow at that.

"Where is he going," he asked.

"To get my jeep started up," Emmett replied. "It's parked back on the trails."

It made no sense to Kaneki as to why the brother had to go ahead of them. It wasn't cold enough to have to preheat your vehicle beforehand, but he chose not to speak on it. The four started off in the direction Jasper had went, and they walked in tense silence. At least for Kaneki, it was. He stayed in the back of the group, still wanting to keep all of them in sight. They didn't say anything about his behavior, but Emmett seemed adamant about being close to him. He stuck himself to Kaneki's side, not touching him, but close enough that ignoring the larger man's presence was difficult.

"So, have you been in America long," Emmett asked, watching as Kaneki flinched slightly at the sudden break of silence.

"Um...we came to America two years ago, and we've been roaming around until we came here."

"Roaming?" So are you not staying here long?" Emmett had assumed that they would be settling here for a while, seeing as they were opening a business here. His fingers twitched in Kaneki's direction, wanting to be in contact with him. A simple brush of the arm, anything really. He was acting like he would disappear in a puff of smoke before him.

Kaneki shrugged, reaching a hand up to push a tree branch out of his path. A large, pale hand darted forward with such quickness that Kaneki had barely seen him move, and the branch was lifted before Kaneki could even touch it. He stared at Emmett strangely, blinking, but continued.

"That's the plan it seems," he stated. He didn't appear very happy with that fact. Emmett wondered why.

"Well, if you'd like, my family and I can help you get settled into town. We've been here a year already."

Kaneki hummed, neither accepting nor declining the offer. They approached one of the trails then, and a pair of bright headlights lit up the surrounding trees. Jasper stepped out of the jeep but paused as Emmett shook his head at him.

"You drive," he said.

Jasper got back in the driver's seat with no protest as Kaneki went to one of the side back doors and opened it. Emmett reached out to help him in, the jeep was relatively high up, but Kaneki had already pulled himself in without difficulty. He did, however, seem to be having trouble with the belts.

"Here, let me," Swatting the man's hands away and grabbing onto the buckles. Emmett could feel how stiff Kaneki's body was when his hands and arms brushed against him. His eyebrows furrowed, despite his body relishing in contact with his mate. Did he not like being touched? He quickly finished with the buckles, pushing away the slight hurt he felt and not wanting to move away. He pulled back.

"Thank you."

Emmett smiled at the quiet thanks and the slight bow of the head in his direction. "No problem."

He turned to Edward, who stood on the other side of the jeep, waiting for Emmett to get in.

"I'll ride in the back," he told him, hopping into the small space in front of the trunk. He leaned over the side to his brother and said quietly, "He doesn't like being touched, so one of us being squashed in the middle is a no go. Keep your distance, please."

Edward nodded, getting into the jeep and making sure to keep to his side. Emmett wished he could sit in the vehicle with Kaneki. He wanted to continue their conversation. No matter how one-sided it may be. But he knew if he kept making him uncomfortable, whether it's unintentional or not, he'd drive his mate away. And he definitely didn't want to intentionally do that. He'd already weirded him out with his action so far. This was going to be a lot more complicated than he'd previously thought.