Chapter 2

It was late afternoon when they finally arrived in Forks. Once the car pulled into the parking lot of the empty building, Hinami wasted no time to jump out of the car.

"Hinami!" Touka yelled out the window. "At least wait until we're fully stopped!"

Kaneki and Yomo chuckled quietly as they got out of the care. Stretching his arms above his head, Kaneki stared up at their new home. It was two stories, as Touka had said. A mix of cream and light blue colors on the outside. Not that far down the road, Kaneki could see the local high school in the distance. He figured the majority of their customers would end up being teenagers of highschool. It was mid-summer vacation and there were some people walking around in the small town, though most would be using the opportunity of summer to get out of town.

Two kids, around middle school age, stopped and stared at him as they had been walking pasted. Kaneki gave them a small, cautious wave before following the others. Touka unlocked the front door to the building and they stepped inside.

"Nice," Touka said as she looked around the main room. The layout was pretty open with brown hardwood floors and a slightly darker blue for the walls than what was on the outside, and it didn't look like they would have to do much in the sense of renovation the building. Touka fell into a full rant of plans for furniture, supplies, and decorations.

Hinami grabbed Kaneki's wrist, ignoring the way he twitched under her grip, and pulled him towards the stairs that were behind the front counter. On the upper floor was a living area connected to a small kitchen and three other doors along a short hallway.

"Looks like Touka and I will be sharing," Hinami commented as she opened the doors one by one, revealing two bedrooms and a bathroom.

"Perfect," Kaneki grumbled dryly under his breath. The thought of sharing a room with anyone made him antsy. The living quarters were similar to the apartments they had lived in before, but Kaneki had always made sure that he'd have a room to himself. But since TOuka was the one who set this place up and she refused to tell him about it, Kaneki didn't have a say like he normally would.

It wasn't because he had a problem with sharing or anything. He didn't want to worry anyone with his nightmares or occasional..." episodes". Not long after the events with Jason and Aogiri Tree, Kaneki began regretting a lot of things. One of those things was devouring Jason. If only someone had warned him of the outcome.

He did indeed grow stronger as he had wanted, but at what cost? His mental state took the biggest nosedive yet. Rize had always been in his head, however, she would usually only make herself known whenever his hunger started to really hit him. He would usually be able to keep her in the back of his mind and ignore it. But now the ghost of Rize had become a frequent visitor in his mind, demanding him to acknowledge her presence, demanding he does the most despicable things imaginable. Then, Jason joined. Both taunted him, a constant haunting whether he was asleep.

The nightmares weren't as bad as they used to be, certainly not as bad as his "episodes" could get. At least the nightmares would stick to when he was asleep. Insomnia lets him avoid those most of the time. When awake, Rize and Jason would be faded into the back of his head, quiet and easily ignored. But they would make themselves know sometimes during the waking hours. They would start out small but get progressively worse as the "episode" went on. Luckily, Kaneki had gotten the hang of catching when the episodes would start. He could get on his own.

Yomo's voice traveled up the stairs, telling them the moving truck had arrived with their boxes and furniture for the home. Kaneki helped Touka carry a bed frame up the stairs, Touka talking all the while.

"Everything should be ready by the end of the summer. I've already ordered some furniture for the cafe; tables and chairs mainly. I'll be getting a lot of the supplies last so they'll be fresh when we officially open shop..."