Chapter 10

Emmett and Kaneki decided to start walking around the large shopping district nearby, parking the Jeep in one of the many parking lots. They continued on foot from there.

There were many people out and about that night, the streets lit up by the tall street lamps and the lights inside the establishments they passed. Emmett was trying to think of another place they could visit while watching Kaneki for any shown interest in anything. Emmett remembered Alice expressing that Kaneki wasn't much of a shopper, which wasn't a surprise. It was pretty much confirmed as Kaneki didn't give any of the stores more than a second glance.

His white-haired companion didn't bring up the situation at the bookstore again after his comforting attempts towards Emmett, which was a relief; no matter how short-lived, he knew it would be. Kaneki would ask about it again. But hopefully, they would be at a point where Emmett could be truthful with his mate. Emmett didn't like lying to his mate, but he was aware that it was for the best right then. He didn't want to scare Kaneki off.

The yellow-orange glow coming from the street lamps made Kaneki's white hair look like a pale blonde, and it made Emmett want to run his hands through it again. He hadn't seemed to be in discomfort when Emmett did it earlier, aside from the shudder. But he figured that it was a jovial type rather than a negative, especially since Kaneki hadn't said anything about the action.

Emmett believed that he'd made it clear that Kaneki could just tell him if he did anything that made the other uncomfortable.

The sidewalks became more crowded as they got closer to a sports bar with an outdoor section with people watching the TVs mounted on the walls, even from the sidewalk.

Emmett could maneuver his way smoothly through the small crowd, but Kaneki was lagging behind a bit. A hand grabbed onto his wrist, and Emmett glanced behind him.

"Sorry," he said over the noise, sheepishly. He pulled Kaneki into his side until they got past the bar. Emmett chuckled as he helped straighten the man up when he stumbled, then took a step back.

A building across the street caught Emmett's eye then. It was a black and brown brick exterior with a sign of white lights in cursive writing saying, "Jazz Alley." Emmett could hear the music inside.

Emmett turned to Kaneki with a shit-eating grin on his face, gesturing with his thumb at the building. "'Ya like jazz~'?" He asked, voicing his best Jerry Seinfield impression.

Emmett hadn't expected Kaneki to get the reference if he was honest, but he hadn't been able to help himself. A snort sounded deep in Kaneki's throat, followed by outright laughter, causing him to lean forward, bracing a hand on Emmett's arm.

The larger man couldn't keep in his own laughter for long, nor the grin off his face at the sound of his mate's enjoyment. Only a few times did he manage to get a genuine laugh out of Kaneki, besides a small chuckle here and a sarcastic snort there.

Emmett wondered how the two of them looked to the people passing by them in the back of his mind. There are just two men in almost tears from an animated bee movie reference; one of them the size of a bear compared to the average man, and the other much smaller with completely white hair and an eyepatch. They indeed were a spectacle, but it wasn't like he cared.

Eventually, they calmed down, a few tiny giggles escaping them still.

"Yeah," Kaneki finally answered, running a hand over his still smiling face. "Sounds fun."

The two men crossed the busy road, and as Emmett began walking up to the door, Kaneki paused on the sidewalk, looking extremely self-conscious all of a sudden.

"What is it?" Emmett asked, returning to Kaneki's side.

"I don't think I'm dressed appropriately for this place," Kaneki mumbled.