Chapter 5

Yoma was correct about Touka being on Kaneki as soon as she woke. She got up around 11 that morning, remembered the night and couple hours before she went to bed, and she was speeding off to Kaneki and Yoma's room in an instant to see if he was there. If he was, she was ripping that man a new one. If not, the same results whenever she saw him next. He'd have to come home at some point.

Touka knew Yoma had gone out scouting for feeding grounds, and she doubted he'd be back until later on. So she didn't hesitate to kick the door open, sending it slamming against the wall behind it.

"Hey, shitty Kaneki, what the hell--"

She cut off her yelling mid-sentence and cringed as her eyes landed on the bed. Kaneki was curled up, the blanket halfway on his body, sleeping relatively peacefully from the looks of it. He hadn't even stirred at the loud noise she'd been making.

She went over to the bed, staring down at the white-haired man who was her brother in everything but blood. Touka carefully lowered herself onto the edge of the mattress by his head. He didn't even wake to the dipping of the bed. Kaneki not being woken up by the noise earlier was very out of character in itself, as he was a very aware person. Very in tune with his surroundings 99% of the time. Any slight change in the atmosphere would have tipped him off usually.

Just as carefully as before, she dropped her hand into his snowy white hair, and Touka smiled when Kaneki unconsciously pressed his head closer and nuzzled his hand further into her palm. Running her fingers softly through the strands, Touka noticed a different scent coming from the male. Looking down, she took in the very oversized hoodie Kaneki was wearing.

Yoma didn't usually own any hoodies, especially none of that size. And it wasn't a scent she was familiar with, so she didn't think it was something Yoma would have bought at some point.

Whose clothes would Kaneki be wearing? Wearing willingly at that. Touka contemplated waking him up to get her answers. He still needed to explain his whereabouts the night before too. But...

Touka's fingers pressed into his scalp, massaging as Kaneki slept on. She couldn't bring herself to disturb him. His sleeping habits were already trash, practically nonexistent. Even when he did sleep, it was never a deep one like he seemed to be in now. That's what black-haired ghoul had observed over the years, at least. He'd always be woken up by the smallest things. Whether that be someone walking around the house or doors closing and opening down the hall.

For someone to be able to come into his space while he was asleep, to even be this close and touching him without so much as a twitch, Touka wondered what had gotten him so at ease. Whatever it was, it was doing him some good. Sleep wise, at least.

"Touka, is everything alright?" Hinami's voice traveled down the hall. She'd been asleep in her and Touka's room when she'd heard Touka's phone going off, and then the yelling. Her face popped up in the open door seconds later. "I heard--"

"Shh!" Touka hissed, holding her finger to her lips. She felt Kaneki shift underhand before settling again.

"Oh," Hinami said, her eyes falling on her big brother. "Sorry. Is he okay?"

Touka shrugged. "I guess. I didn't wake him," she whispered.

Hinami came over and sat by Kaneki's feet.

"He slept through all that? He's sleeping like the dead."

Touka chuckled. "Yeah." She leaned down and planted a kiss on Kaneki's forehead, and turned to Hinami. "Come on, let's get some work down. We can integrate the 'suspect' later."

Hinami laughed and nodded, and they left the room, carefully shutting the door behind them. Hinami held out Touka's phone, which she had shoved into her pajama shorts pocket before she'd left the room.