Chapter 6

Inspo for Kaneki's bodysuit above!

---------------------------------------------------

"Oh, for the love of God, Emmett, could you kindly shut the fuck up," Edward said, annoyed, tapping his fingers against the piano keys.

"I second that," Jasper sighed. If he were human, he'd have a headache. He had the urge to rub his temples as if he did anyway.

The Cullen clan had thought that meeting his mate would calm Emmett down a bit. But it only seemed to make him worse. And being stuck in the house and away from town for the past few days didn't make it better. Sunny days were a rare sight for Forks, and the Sun decided to make itself known and come out.

"Sorry," Emmett muttered from his place, lounged out on the sofa. He knew his thoughts, as well as his emotions, were all out of whack lately. And amplified, if his brothers' frustrations had anything to say about it. The empathic and mind reader could sometimes have their powers overwhelmed.

During the occasionally sunny days, being in the house didn't usually bother him, but Emmett wanted to be with Kaneki. He had checked up on his mate at points throughout the days, restricted to the shadows of the woods, but he kept those visits short. He had no intentions of becoming a full-blown stalker, no matter how much Jasper joked that he already was.

"Oh, leave him be." Rosalie fell onto the sofa, sitting her weight on Emmett's legs. She smirked. "He was the exact same back when I first found him, and he joined the family. You remember, Edward."

"Unfortunately," Edward shuddered.

"I was not that bad." Emmett received four deadpanned stares. "You two weren't even here yet, so shut it!" Emmett snapped, pointing at Alice and Jasper.

Jasper snorted. "You say that like you too had chilled out even a little by the time we did show up. You didn't." A pillow was thrown at the empathic, which he simply dodged. Emmett laughed.

He and Rose had fallen into a "close friend" state of existence, pretty much the same they'd always been minus the romantic and sexual aspects of it. He thought she'd want to get away for a while. But she seemed fine just where she was. She'd said something about making sure Kaneki was 'right' for him and that Emmett didn't fuck up. Emmett caught an object that flew towards his face. A gaming controller. Looking up, Alice stood above him with the other controller. Immediately, Emmett began shaking his head.

"No, I'm not playing with you. You cheat."

"I do not! Besides, I'm tired of playing against Edward."

"I wonder why." Rolling his eyes, Emmett surrendered to playing a game of Cod against his pixie sister, which consisted of Alice predicting his every move. The split-screen gameplay already gave advantages, but he was no match for her visions.

After a few rather frustrating yet amusing rounds with his siblings, Emmett got up from the couch and left Rose playing against Edward.

He walked out onto the back porch and onto the grass where he sat and laid down in the sunlight, his arms crossed underneath his head. He wasn't out there long before he felt someone sit down beside him and a poke against his shoulder.

"Hey, you know we were just joking before."

Emmett glanced over at Edward, then over his shoulder through the living room windows to see that Jasper had taken his place on the gaming system. They were playing Mario Kart from the sound of it.

Emmett sighed. "No, it's fine. I forgot that you and Jasper's abilities can be overwhelmed easily."

And I'm positive me continually switching back and forth and my worrying is irritating, he thought.