Chapter 1

Kaneki Ken, the one-eyed ghoul, could be found staring blankly out the plane window he was currently on at the slowly rising sun. Hinami, fast asleep, was tucked up against his side with his arm draped over her shoulder. In the two blue fabric seats in front of them sat Touka and Yomo who were speaking to each other in hushed tones as to not wake or disturb other passengers.

Kaneki knew what they were discussing. If his hearing wasn't already heightened, Touka's non discreet glances at him through the gap between the seats gave them away. But he ignored the looks and tried to tune out the conversation altogether, opting to continue his staring contest with his own reflection in the glass. Kaneki had lost track of the number of flights the group of four had taken in the past two years.

After the battle of the 20th ward, Kaneki had nothing left for himself in Japan. His parents were dead, he had no contact with his aunt or other relatives and it wasn't as if he could just pop up in their lives now. That surely would be a calm reunion, Kaneki thought humourlessly. Yoshimura, kaya Irimi, and Enji Koma had all met their demise during the battle. Hide was dead as well; Kaneki had left his body with the CCG soldiers and had escaped from the battle between himself and Arima.

There was a slight weight lifted from Kaneki's shoulders that night when Hide had revealed that he had known Kaneki was a ghoul all along. But in the end, Hide's death was on him. Hide had joined the CCG for him, to try and find him after he disappeared without a word. He had truly been the sun of Kaneki's life, and he had deserved better than what he had gotten.

Anteiku had been burned to the ground, so Kaneki had found Touka and Hinami at Yomo's apartment with Tsukiyama and Nishiki. He explained to them that he was leaving Japan altogether. He didn't remember when he had come to the decision, but with so much has happened to him following his near-death with Rize and the fact that he was one of the highly wanted ghouls by the CCG, he didn't have much of a choice.

After a particularly long discussion, all but Tsukiyama and Nishiki declared that they would be going with him. Tsukiyama didn't want to leave the life he had built up and grown accustomed to in Japan, which Kaneki didn't have a problem with. Despite the fact he considered the Gourmet ghoul as a friend of sorts, he didn't trust him from a moral standpoint. But did he trust the man with his life? Absolutely

Nishiki wanted to stay for his girlfriend, not wanting to leave her nor wanting to have her leave her life behind just for him. He could handle himself, at the end of the day, which Kaneki respected. But Kaneki was against the other three going with him, but his protests fell on deaf ears it seemed.

"We all need a fresh start," Yomo had said. So once Yomo and Touka had settled everything with the others, and they had said their goodbyes, they left. Uta had opted up to taking over the duties Yomo had been doing, so they didn't have to worry about leaving the ghouls that relied on the system Yoshimura had made to fend for themselves.

That had been two years ago, and the four had been hopping place to place ever since. They never settled long, mostly due to Kaneki's issues, though they would never say that to his face. Until now, that is. Touka, though she understood that Kaneki had his problems, was fed up with the constant moving around, and had taken it upon herself to search for a proper place to settle, a small town preferably. And she had eventually found one. Forks, Washington. A small town near Seattle and Port Angeles.

The speakers above the seats went off and a young woman's voice spoke through. "Hello there passengers, we will be landing in Seattle in approximately one hour-"

Kaneki shut out her voice, looking down at Hinami with a small smile gracing his lips. A rare sight nowadays. His fingers gently played with the ends of Hinami's light brown hair, careful not to wake her from her peaceful sleep. He could only wish to be able to sleep like that again.